Subject: smart and secure children | conversepedia | R | mental health | child development | Medicine | emotional wellbeing | community-based participatory research | Article | parenting
This article reports on the design, development, testing and presentation of preliminary evidence of a translational, culturally relevant parenting education model, titled Smart and Secured Children (SSC). SSC, a quality parenting curriculum, prepares disparate African ... View more
1. Office of the Surgeon General (US); Center for Mental Health Services (US); National Institute of Mental Health (US). Mental Health: Culture, Race, and Ethnicity: A Supplement to Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General; Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (US): Rockville, MD, USA, 2001.
2. Birken, C.S.; MacArthur, C. Socioeconomic status and injury risk in children. Paediatr Child Health 2004, 9, 323-325.
3. Schreier, H.; Chen, E. Socioeconomic Status and the Health of Youth: A Multilevel, Multidomain Approach to Conceptualizing Pathways. Psychol. Bull. 2013, 139, 606-654.
4. Hudson, C.G. Socioeconomic Status and Mental Illness: Tests of the Social Causation and Selection Hypotheses. Amer. J. Orthopsychiat. 2005, 75, 3-18.
5. Belle, D. Poverty and women's mental health. Amer. Psychol. 1990, 45, 385-389.
6. Madigan, S.; Moran, G.; Schuengel, C.; Pederson, D.R.; Otten, R. Unresolved maternal attachment representations, disrupted maternal behavior and disorganized attachment in infancy: Links to toddler behavior problems. J. Child Psychol. Psychiat. 2007, 48, 1042-1050.
7. Weich, S.S.; Patterson, J.; Shaw, R.; Stewart-Brown, S. Family relationships in childhood and later psychopathology: A systematic review of longitudinal studies. Br. J. Psychiat. 2009, 194, 392-398.
8. Ashiabi, G.S.; O'Neal, K.K. Children's Health Status: Examining the Associations among Income Poverty, Material Hardship, and Parental Factors. PLoS ONE 2007, 2, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0000940.
9. Eamon, M.K. The effects of poverty on childrens socioemotional development: An ecological systems analysis. Soc Work. 2001, 46, 256-266.
10. US Department of Health and Human Services; US Department of Education; US Department of Justice. Report of the Surgeon General's Conference on Children's Mental Health: A National Action Agenda; US Department of Health and Human Services: Washington, DC, USA, 2000.