Ethanol abuse is linked to several acute and chronic injuries that can lead to health problems. Ethanol addiction is one of the most severe diseases linked to the abuse of this drug. Symptoms of ethanol addiction include compulsive substance intake and withdrawal syndro... View more
1. Koob GF. Neurobiological substrates for the dark side of compulsivity in addiction. Neuropharmacology 2009; 56 (Suppl 1): 18-31, doi: 10.1016/j.neuropharm.2008.07.043.
2. Pandey SC, Roy A, Mittal N. Effects of chronic ethanol intake and its withdrawal on the expression and phosphorylation of the creb gene transcription factor in rat cortex. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2001; 296: 857-868.
4. Finn DA, Snelling C, Fretwell AM, Tanchuck MA, Underwood L, Cole M, et al. Increased drinking during withdrawal from intermittent ethanol exposure is blocked by the CRF receptor antagonist D-Phe-CRF(12-41). Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2007; 31: 939-949, doi: 10.1111/j.1530-0277.2007. 00379.x.
5. Gilpin NW, Smith AD, Cole M, Weiss F, Koob GF, Richardson HN. Operant behavior and alcohol levels in blood and brain of alcohol-dependent rats. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2009; 33: 2113-2123, doi: 10.1111/j.1530-0277.2009. 01051.x.
6. Sinha R. How does stress increase risk of drug abuse and relapse? Psychopharmacology 2001; 158: 343-359, doi: 10.1007/s002130100917.
7. Litt MD, Cooney NL, Kadden RM, Gaupp L. Reactivity to alcohol cues and induced moods in alcoholics. Addict Behav 1990; 15: 137-146, doi: 10.1016/0306-4603(90)90017-R.
8. Breese GR, Chu K, Dayas CV, Funk D, Knapp DJ, Koob GF, et al. Stress enhancement of craving during sobriety: a risk for relapse. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2005; 29: 185-195, doi: 10.1097/01.ALC.0000153544.83656.3C.
9. Lynch WJ, Kushner MG, Rawleigh JM, Fiszdon J, Carroll ME. The effects of restraint stress on voluntary ethanol consumption in rats. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 1999; 7: 318-323, doi: 10.1037/1064-12220.127.116.118.
10. Peters S, Slattery DA, Flor PJ, Neumann ID, Reber SO. Differential effects of baclofen and oxytocin on the increased ethanol consumption following chronic psychosocial stress in mice. Addict Biol 2013; 18: 66-77, doi: 10.1111/adb.12001.