Neutrophils are key effector cells in inflammation and play an important role in neutralizing invading pathogens. During inflammation resolution, neutrophils undergo apoptosis before they are removed by macrophages, but if apoptosis is delayed, neutrophils can cause ext... View more
1. Nordenfelt, P., and H. Tapper. 2011. Phagosome dynamics during phagocytosis by neutrophils. J. Leukoc. Biol. 90: 271-284.
2. Amulic, B., C. Cazalet, G. L. Hayes, K. D. Metzler, and A. Zychlinsky. 2012. Neutrophil function: from mechanisms to disease. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 30: 459-489.
3. Nathan, C. 2006. Neutrophils and immunity: challenges and opportunities. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 6: 173-182.
4. Nathan, C., and A. Ding. 2010. Nonresolving inflammation. Cell 140: 871-882.
5. Kolaczkowska, E., and P. Kubes. 2013. Neutrophil recruitment and function in health and inflammation. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 13: 159-175.
6. Mayadas, T. N., and X. Cullere. 2005. Neutrophil beta2 integrins: moderators of life or death decisions. Trends Immunol. 26: 388-395.
7. Fadok, V. A., D. L. Bratton, S. C. Frasch, M. L. Warner, and P. M. Henson. 1998. The role of phosphatidylserine in recognition of apoptotic cells by phagocytes. Cell Death Differ. 5: 551-562.
8. Ariel, A., G. Fredman, Y.-P. Sun, A. Kantarci, T. E. Van Dyke, A. D. Luster, and C. N. Serhan. 2006. Apoptotic neutrophils and T cells sequester chemokines during immune response resolution through modulation of CCR5 expression. Nat. Immunol. 7: 1209-1216.
9. Bratton, D. L., and P. M. Henson. 2011. Neutrophil clearance: when the party is over, clean-up begins. Trends Immunol. 32: 350-357.
10. Casca˜o, R., H. S. Rosa´rio, M. M. Souto-Carneiro, and J. E. Fonseca. 2010. Neutrophils in rheumatoid arthritis: more than simple final effectors. Autoimmun. Rev. 9: 531-535.