Subject: South Asia | Barriers | Facilitators | Adherence | HIV/AIDS | Antiretroviral drugs | Original Papers
Patient's adherence is crucial to get the best out of antiretroviral therapy (ART). This study explores in-depth the barriers to and facilitators of ART adherence among Nepalese patients and service providers prescribing ART. Face-to-face semi-structured interviews were... View more
1. Egger M, May M, Chêne G, Phillips AN, Ledergerber B, Dabis F et al.; ART Cohort Collaboration. Prognosis of HIV-1-infected patients starting highly active antiretroviral therapy: a collaborative analysis of prospective studies. Lancet 2002;360:119-29.
2. Wasti SP, Simkhada P, Teijlingen ER. Antiretroviral treatment programmes in Nepal: problems and barriers. Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ) 2009;7:306-14.
3. United Nations General Assembly Special Session. UNGASS country progress report: Nepal. Kathmandu: National Centre for AIDS & STD Control, 2010. 78 p.
4. Wasti SP, Simkhada P, Randall J, van Teijlingen E. Issues and challenges of HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment programme in Nepal. Global J Health Sci 2009;1:62-72.
5. Konkle-Parker DJ, Erlen JA, Dubbert PM. Barriers and facilitators to medication adherence in a southern minority population with HIV disease. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 2008;19:98-104.
6. Tuller DM, Bangsberg DR, Senkungu J, Ware NC, Emenyonu N, Weiser SD. Transportation costs impede sustained adherence and access to HAART in a clinic population in southwestern Uganda: a qualitative study. AIDS Behav 2010;14:778-84.
7. Paterson DL, Swindells S, Mohr J, Brester M, Vergis EN, Squier C et al. Adherence to protease inhibitor therapy and outcomes in patients with HIV infection. Ann Intern Med 2000;133:21-30.
8. DiMatteo MR. Variations in patients' adherence to medical recommendations: a quantitative review of 50 years of research. Med Care 2004;42:200-9.
9. Wang X, Wu Z. Factors associated with adherence to antiretroviral therapy among HIV/AIDS patients in rural China. AIDS 2007;21(Suppl 8):S149-55.
10. Mills EJ, Nachega JB, Bangsberg DR, Singh S, Rachlis B, Wu P et al. Adherence to HAART: a systematic review of developed and developing nation patient-reported barriers and facilitators. PLoS Med 2006;3:e438.