A randomized controlled trial investigating the effects of PCSO-524®, a patented oil extract of the New Zealand green lipped mussel (Perna canaliculus), on the behaviour, mood, cognition and neurophysiology of children and adolescents (aged 6–14 years) experiencing clinical and sub-clinical levels of hyperactivity and inattention: study protocol ACTRN12610000978066
Subject: Medicine (miscellaneous) | ADHD | RCT | Hyperactivity | Marine oil extract | Lyprinol | Omega XL | Impulsivity | Omega 3 s | Nutrition and Dietetics | Research
mesheuropmc: lipids (amino acids, peptides, and proteins)
Background The prevalence rate of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) within Western cultures is between 5% and 12%, and is the most common psychiatric illness among school-aged children, with an estimated 50% of these children retaining ADHD symptoms for th... View more
2. American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th edition. Washington: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2000.
3. Wolraich ML, Wibbelsman CJ, Brown TE, et al: Attention-deficit/ hyperactivity disorder among adolescents: a review of the diagnosis, treatment, and clinical implications. Pediatrics 2005, 115(6):1734-1746.
4. Curtis LT, Patel K: Nutritional and environmental approaches to preventing and treating autism and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): a review. J Alter Complem Med 2008, 14(1):79-85.
6. Richardson AJ: The importance of omega-3 fatty acids for behaviour, cognition and mood. Scandinavian J Nutri Narings skning 2003, 47(2):92-98.
7. Di Michele F, Prichep L, John ER, Chabot RJ: The neurophysiology of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Int J Psychophysiol 2005, 58(1):81-93.
8. Chabot RJ, Di Michele F, Prichep L, John ER: The clinical role of computerized EEG in the evaluation and treatment of learning and attention disorders in children and adolescents. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 2001, 13(2):171-186.
9. Dvorakova M, Jezova D, Blazicek P, et al: Urinary catecholamines in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): modulation by a polyphenolic extract from pine bark (pycnogenol). Nutr Neurosci JunAug 2007, 10(3-4):151-157.
10. Chabot RJ, Serfontein G: Quantitative electroencephalographic profiles of children with attention deficit disorder. Biol Psychiatry 1996, 40(10):951-963.