Subject: Neuroinformatics | Neuroscience | Data Descriptor
Resurgent interest in synaptic circuitry and plasticity has emphasized the importance of 3D reconstruction from serial section electron microscopy (3DEM). Three volumes of hippocampal CA1 neuropil from adult rat were imaged at X-Y resolution of ~2 nm on serial sections ... View more
1. Chiang, R. G. & Govind, C. K. Reorganization of synaptic ultrastructure at facilitated lobster neuromuscular terminals. J. Neurocytol. 15, 63-74 (1986).
2. Jarrell, T. A. et al. The connectome of a decision-making neural network. Science 337, 437-444 (2012).
3. Bundgaard, M. The three-dimensional organization of tight junctions in a capillary endothelium revealed by serial-section electron microscopy. J Ultrastruct. Res. 88, 1-17 (1984).
4. Keddie, F. M. & Barajas, L. Three-dimensional reconstruction of Pityrosporum yeast cells based on serial section electron microscopy. J. Ultrastruct. Res. 29, 260-275 (1969).
5. Novikoff, P. M., Novikoff, A. B., Quintana, N. & Hauw, J. J. Golgi apparatus, GERL, and lysosomes of neurons in rat dorsal root ganglia, studied by thick section and thin section cytochemistry. J. Cell Biol. 50, 859-886 (1971).
6. Osafune, T. & Schwartzbach, S. D. Serial section immunoelectron microscopy of algal cells. Methods Mol. Biol. 657, 259-274 (2010).
7. Spacek, J. & Lieberman, A. R. Spine-like astrocytic protrusions into large axon terminals. Z. Zellforsch. Mikrosk. Anat. 115, 494-500 (1971).
8. Spacek, J. & Lieberman, A. R. Ultrastructure and three-dimensional organization of synaptic glomeruli in rat somatosensory thalamus. J. Anat. 117, 487-516 (1974).
9. Starborg, T., Lu, Y., Huffman, A., Holmes, D. F. & Kadler, K. E. Electron microscope 3D reconstruction of branched collagen fibrils in vivo. Scand. J Med. Sci. Sports 19, 547-552 (2009).
10. Thaemert, J. C. Ultrastructural interrelationships of nerve processes and smooth muscle cells in three dimensions. J. Cell Biol. 28, 37-49 (1966).