Subject: An ISEV Position Paper | Cytology | microvesicle | Extracellular vesicle; RNA; Isolation; Characterization; Biomarker; Intercellular Communication; Biofluid; Immunology; Methodology | standardization | International (English) | isolation | QH573-671 | extracellular vesicle | exosome
The emergence of publications on extracellular RNA (exRNA) and extracellular vesicles (EV) has highlighted the potential of these molecules and vehicles as biomarkers of disease and therapeutic targets. These findings have created a paradigm shift, most prominently in t... View more
1. Valadi H, Ekstrom K, Bossios A, Sjostrand M, Lee JJ, Lotvall JO. Exosome-mediated transfer of mRNAs and microRNAs is a novel mechanism of genetic exchange between cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:654 9.
2. Lotvall J, Valadi H. Cell to cell signalling via exosomes through esRNA. Cell Adh Migr. 2007;1:156 8.
3. Muratori C, Cavallin LE, Kratzel K, Tinari A, De Milito A, Fais S, et al. Massive secretion by T cells is caused by HIV Nef in infected cells and by Nef transfer to bystander cells. Cell Host Microbe. 2009;6:218 30.
4. Dear JW, Street JM, Bailey MA Urinary exosomes: a reservoir for biomarker discovery and potential mediators of intra-renal signaling. Proteomics 2012. doi: 10.1002/pmic. 201200285.
5. Quesenberry PJ, Aliotta JM. Cellular phenotype switching and microvesicles. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2010;62:1141 8.
6. Skog J, Wurdinger T, van Rijn S, Meijer DH, Gainche L, Sena-Esteves M, et al. Glioblastoma microvesicles transport RNA and proteins that promote tumour growth and provide diagnostic biomarkers. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:1470 6.
7. Simons M, Raposo G. Exosomes-vesicular carriers for intercellular communication. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2009;21: 575 81.
8. van der Vos KE, Balaj L, Skog J, Breakefield XO. Brain tumor microvesicles: insights into intercellular communication in the nervous system. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2011;31: 949 59.
9. Pegtel DM, Cosmopoulos K, Thorley-Lawson DA, van Eijndhoven MA, Hopmans ES, Lindenberg JL, et al. Functional delivery of viral miRNAs via exosomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2010;107:6328 33.
10. Ekstrom K, Valadi H, Sjostrand M, Malmhall C, Bossios A, Eldh M, et al. Characterization of mRNA and microRNA in human mast cell-derived exosomes and their transfer to other mast cells and blood CD34 progenitor cells. JEV. 2012;1:18389.