Subject: Veterinary medicine | SF600-1100 | Research
<p>Abstract</p> <p>Background</p> <p>Sulfonamide resistance is very common in <it>Escherichia coli</it>. The aim of this study was to characterize plasmids carrying sulfonamide resistance genes (<it>sul1</it>, <it>sul2 </it>and <it>sul3</it>) in <it>E. coli </it>isolate... View more
1. Bean DC, Livermore DM, Hall LM: Plasmids imparting sulfonamide resistance in Escherichia coli: implications for persistence. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2009, 53:1088-1093.
2. Bean DC, Livermore DM, Papa I, Hall LM: Resistance among Escherichia coli to sulphonamides and other antimicrobials now little used in man. J Antimicrob Chemother 2005, 56:962-964.
3. Hammerum AM, Sandvang D, Andersen SR, Seyfarth AM, Porsbo LJ, Frimodt-Moller N, Heuer OE: Detection of sul1, sul2 and sul3 in sulphonamide resistant Escherichia coli isolates obtained from healthy humans, pork and pigs in Denmark. Int J Food Microbiol 2006, 106:235-237.
4. Skold O: Resistance to trimethoprim and sulfonamides. Vet Res 2001, 32:261-273.
5. DANMAP: DANMAP 2007-Use of antimicrobial agents and occurrence of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria from food animals, foods, and humans in Denmark Danish Institute for Food and Veterinary Research edn. Danish Institute for Food and Veterinary Research,Cpenhagen, Denmark 2008.
6. Trobos M, Jakobsen L, Olsen KE, Frimodt-Moller N, Hammerum AM, Pedersen K, Agerso Y, Porsbo LJ, Olsen JE: Prevalence of sulphonamide resistance and class 1 integron genes in Escherichia coli isolates obtained from broilers, broiler meat, healthy humans and urinary infections in Denmark. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2008, 32:367-369.
7. Perreten V, Boerlin P: A new sulfonamide resistance gene (sul3) in Escherichia coli is widespread in the pig population of Switzerland. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2003, 47:1169-1172.
8. Radstrom P, Swedberg G, Skold O: Genetic analyses of sulfonamide resistance and its dissemination in gram-negative bacteria illustrate new aspects of R plasmid evolution. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1991, 35:1840-1848.
9. Antunes P, Machado J, Sousa JC, Peixe L: Dissemination of sulfonamide resistance genes (sul1, sul2, and sul3) in Portuguese Salmonella enterica strains and relation with integrons. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2005, 49:836-839.
10. Antunes P, Machado J, Peixe L: Dissemination of sul3-containing elements linked to class 1 integrons with an unusual 3' conserved sequence region among Salmonella isolates. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2007, 51:1545-1548.