Subject: R | parenting style | children | home environment | Medicine | Article | obesity
Parenting behaviors are known to have a major impact on childhood obesity but it has proven difficult to isolate the specific mechanism of influence. The present study uses Baumrind’s parenting typologies (authoritative, authoritarian, and permissive) to examine associa... View more
Golan, M.; Crow, S. Parents are key players in the prevention and treatment of weight-related problems. Nutr. Rev. 2004, 62, 39-50.
Rosenkranz, R.R.; Dzewaltowski, D.A. Model of the home food environment pertaining to childhood obesity. Nutr. Rev. 2008, 66, 123-140.
3. Dave, J.M.; Evans, A.E.; Pfeiffer, K.A.; Watkins, K.W.; Saunders, R.P. Correlates of availability and accessibility of fruits and vegetables in homes of low-income Hispanic families. Health Educ. Res. 2010, 25, 97-108.
4. Gubbels, J.S.; Kremers, S.P.; Stafleu, A.; de Vries, S.I.; Goldbohm, R.A.; Dagnelie, P.C.; de Vries, N.K.; van Buuren, S.; Thijs, C. Association between parenting practices and children's dietary intake, activity behavior and development of body mass index: The KOALA Birth Cohort Study. Int. J. Behav. Nutr. Phys. Act. 2011, 8, doi:10.1186/1479-5868-8-18.
5. O'Connor, T.M.; O Hughes, S.; Watson, B.; Baranowski, T.; Nicklas, T.A.; O Fisher, J.; Beltran, A.; Baranowski, J.C.; Qu, H.; Shewchuk, R.M. Parenting practices are associated with fruit and vegetable consumption in pre-school children. Public Health Nutr. 2009, 13, 91-101.
6. Vereecken, C.; Rovner, A.; Maes, L. Associations of parenting styles, parental feeding practices and child characteristics with young children's fruit and vegetable consumption. Appetite 2010, 55, 589-596.
7. Cleland, V.; Timperio, A.; Salmon, J.; Hume, C.; Telford, A.; Crawford, D. A longitudinal study of the family physical activity environment and physical activity among youth. Am. J. Health Promot. 2001, 25, 159-167.
8. Pearson, N.; Timperio, A.; Salmon, J.; Crawford, D.; Biddle, S.J.H. Family influences on children's physical activity and fruit and vegetable consumption. Int. J. Behav. Nutr. Phys. Act. 2009, 6, doi:10.1186/1479-5868-6-34.
9. Wright, M.S.; Wilson, D.K.; Griffin, S.; Evans, A. A qualitative study of parental modeling and social support for physical activity in underserved adolescents. Health Educ. Res. 2010, 25, 224- 232.
10. Sonneville, K.R.; La Pelle, N.; Taveras, E.M.; Gillman, M.W.; Prosser, L.A. Economic and other barriers to adopting recommendations to prevent childhood obesity: Results of a focus group study with parents. BMC Pediatr. 2009, 9, doi:10.1186/1471-2431-9-81.