Eruca sativa Might Influence the Growth, Survival under Simulated Gastrointestinal Conditions and Some Biological Features of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus rhamnosus Strains
mesheuropmc: food and beverages | bacteria | fluids and secretions
The growth and viability of three Lactobacillus strains, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus rhamnosus, after their passage through simulated gastric and pancreatic juices were studied as a function of their presence in the growth medium... View more
1. Block, G.; Patterson, B.; Subar, A. Fruit, vegetables and cancer prevention. A review of the epidemiological evidence. Nutr. Cancer 1992, 18, 1-29.
2. Halliwell, B. Protection against tissue damage in vivo by desferrioxammine: What is its mechanism of action? Free Rad. Biol. Med. 1989, 7, 645-651.
3. Hertog, M.G.L.; Freskens, E.J.M.; Hollman, P.C.H.; Katan, M.B.; Kromhout, D. Dietary antioxidant flavonoids and the risk of coronary heart disease: The zutphen elverly study. Lancet 1993, 342, 1007-1011.
4. Heim, K.E.; Tagliaferro, A.R.; Bobilya, D.J. Flavonoid antioxidants: Chemistry, metabolism and structure-activity relationships. J. Nutr. Biochem. 2002, 13, 572-584.
5. Higdon, J.V.; Delage, B.; Williams, D.E.; Dashwood, R.H. Cruciferous vegetables and human cancer risk: Epidemiologic evidence and mechanistic basis. Pharm. Res. 2007, 55, 224-236.
6. Jin, J.; Koroleva, O.A.; Gibson, T.; Swanston, J.; Magan, J.; Zhang, Y.; Rowland, I.A.; Wagstaff, C. Analysis of phytochemical composition and chemoprotective capacity of rocket (Eruca sativa and Diplotaxis tenuifolia) leafy salad following cultivation in different environments. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2009, 57, 5227-5234.
7. Selma, M.V; Espín, J.C.; Tomás-Barberán, F.A. Interaction between phenolics and gut microbiota: Role in human health. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2009, 57, 6485-6501.
8. Wells, C.L.; Jechorek, R.P.; Kinneberg, K.M.; Debol, S.M.; Erlandsen, S.L. The isoflavone genistein inhibits internalization of enteric bacteria by cultured Caco-2 and HT-29 enterocytes. J. Nutr. 1999, 129, 634-640.
9. Parkar, S.G.; Stevenson, D.E.; Skinner, M.A. The potential influence of fruit polyphenols on colonic microflora and human gut health. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 2008, 124, 295-298.
10. Vattem, D.A.; Lin, Y.T.; Ghaedian, R.; Shetty, K. Cranberry synergies for dietary management of Helicobacter pylori infections. Process Biochem. 2005, 40, 1583-1592.