Subject: Theileria orientalis | Anaemia | Seroconversion | Major piroplasm surface protein (MPSP) | Infectious Diseases | Research | Genotype | Parasitology
Background Bovine theileriosis caused by Theileria orientalis is an emerging disease of cattle in the Asia-Pacific region where it causes a significant economic burden to meat and milk production. While host immunological responses to the lymphocyte-transforming species... View more
1. Fujisaki K, Ito Y, Kamio T, Kitaoka S. The presence of Theileria sergenti in Haemaphysalis longicornis overwintering in pasture in Japan. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 1985;79(5):519-24.
2. Hammer J, Emery D, Bogema DR, Jenkins C. Detection of Theileria orientalis genotypes in Haemaphysalis longicornis ticks from southern Australia. Parasit Vectors. 2015;8:229.
3. Heath A. Biology, ecology and distribution of the tick, Haemaphysalis longicornis Neumann (Acari: Ixodidae) in New Zealand. N Z Vet J. 2016;64(1): 10-20.
4. Sako Y, Sugimoto C, Onuma M. Expression of a major piroplasm surface protein of Theileria sergenti in sporozoite stage. J Vet Med Sci. 1999;61(3): 275-7.
5. Sivakumar T, Hayashida K, Sugimoto C, Yokoyama N. Evolution and genetic diversity of Theileria. Infect Genet Evol. 2014;27:250-63.
6. Eamens GJ, Gonsalves JR, Jenkins C, Collins D, Bailey G. Theileria orientalis MPSP types in Australian cattle herds associated with outbreaks of clinical disease and their association with clinical pathology findings. Vet Parasitol. 2013;191(3-4):209-17.
7. Kamau J, De Vos AJ, Playford M, Salim B, Kinyanjui P, Sugimoto C. Emergence of new types of Theileria orientalis in Australian cattle and possible cause of theileriosis outbreaks. Parasit Vectors. 2011;4:22.
8. Pulford DJ, McFadden A, Hamilton JS, Donald J. Investigation of the index case herd and identification of the genotypes of Theileria orientalis associated with outbreaks of bovine anaemia in New Zealand in 2012. N Z Vet J. 2016;64(1):21-8.
9. Perera PK, Gasser RB, Anderson GA, Jeffers M, Bell CM, Jabbar A. Epidemiological survey following oriental theileriosis outbreaks in Victoria, Australia, on selected cattle farms. Vet Parasitol. 2013;197(3-4):509-21.
10. Aparna M, Ravindran R, Vimalkumar MB, Lakshmanan B, Rameshkumar P, Kumar KG, Promod K, Ajithkumar S, Ravishankar C, Devada K et al. Molecular characterization of Theileria orientalis causing fatal infection in crossbred adult bovines of South India. Parasitol Int. 2011;60(4):524-9.