Subject: Research Article | Orthopedics and Sports Medicine | Diseases of the musculoskeletal system | RC925-935
mesheuropmc: equipment and supplies | surgical procedures, operative | musculoskeletal system | musculoskeletal diseases
<p>Abstract</p> <p>Background</p> <p>Pedicle screws with PMMA cement augmentation have been shown to significantly improve the fixation strength in a severely osteoporotic spine. However, the efficacy of screw fixation for different cement augmentation techniques, namel... View more
1. Dvorak MF, Pitzen T, Zhu QG, Gordon JD, Fisher CG, Oxland TR: Anterior cervical plate fixation: a biomechanical study to evaluate the effects of plate design, endplate preparation, and bone mineral density. Spine 2005, 30:294-301.
2. Paxinos O, Tsitsopoulos PP, Zindrick MR, Voronov LI, Lorenz MA, Havey RM, Patwardhan AG: Evaluation of pullout strength and failure mechanism of posterior instrumentation in normal and osteopenic thoracic vertebrae. JNeurosurg Spine 2010, 13(4):469-76.
3. Ramaswamy R, Evans S, Kosashvili Y: Holding power of variable pitch screws in osteoporotic, osteopenic and normal bone: are all screws created equal? Injury 2010, 41(2):179-83.
4. Chen LH, Tai CL, Lai PL, Lee DM, Tsai TT, Fu TS, Niu CC, Chen WJ: Pullout strength for cannulated pedicle screws with bone cement augmentation in severely osteoporotic bone: Influences of radial hole and pilot hole tapping. Clin Biomech 2009, 24(8):613-618.
5. Chang MC, Liu CL, Chen TH: Polymethylmethacrylate augmentation of pedicle screw for osteoporotic spinal surgery: a novel technique. Spine 2008, 33(10):E317-324.
6. Zhuang XM, Yu BS, Zheng ZM, Zhang JF, Lu WW: Effect of the degree of osteoporosis on the biomechanical anchoring strength of the sacral pedicle screws: an in vitro comparison between unaugmented bicortical screws and polymethylmethacrylate augmented unicortical screws. Spine 2010, 35(19):E925-31.
8. Becker S, Chavanne A, Spitaler R, Kropik K, Aigner N, Ogon M, Redl H: Assessment of different screw augmentation techniques and screw designs in osteoporotic spines. European Spine Journal 2008, 17:1462-9.
9. Masaki T, Sasao Y, Miura T, Torii Y, Kojima A, Aoki H, Beppu M: An experimental study on initial fixation strength in transpedicular screwing augmented with calcium phosphate cement. Spine 2009, 34(20):E724-8.
10. Leung KS, Siu WS, Li SF, Qin L, Cheung WH, Tam KF, Lui PP: An in vitro optimized injectable calcium phosphate cement for augmenting screw fixation in osteopenic goats. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 2006, 78(1):153-160.