Progression of coronary artery atherosclerosis in rheumatoid arthritis: comparison with participants from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis
Chung, Cecilia P; Giles, Jon T; Kronmal, Richard A; Post, Wendy S; Gelber, Allan C; Petri, Michelle; Szklo, Moyses; Detrano, Robert; Budoff, Matthew J; Blumenthal, Roger S; Ouyang, Pamela; Bush, David; Bathon, Joan M;
Subject: Research Article | Rheumatology | Immunology and Allergy | Immunology
mesheuropmc: cardiovascular diseases | nutritional and metabolic diseases
Introduction In cross-sectional studies, patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) have higher coronary artery calcium (CAC) than controls. However, their rate of progression of CAC and the predictors of CAC progression have heretofore remained unknown. Methods Incidence ... View more
1. Cobb S, Anderson F, Bauer W: Length of life and cause of death in rheumatoid arthritis. N Eng J Med 1953, 249:553-556.
2. Koivuniemi R, Paimela L, Leirisalo-Repo M: Causes of death in patients with rheumatoid arthritis from 1971 to 1991 with special reference to autopsy. Clin Rheumatol 2009, 28:1443-1447.
3. Pincus T, Callahan LF, Sale WG, Brooks AL, Payne LE, Vaughn WK: Severe functional decline, work disability and increased mortality in seventy-five rheumatoid arthritis patients studied over nine years. Arthritis Rheum 1984, 27:864-872.
4. Prior P, Symmons DP, Scott DL, Brown R, Hawkins CF: Cause of death in rheumatoid arthritis. Br J Rheumatol 1984, 23:92-99.
5. Wolfe F, Mitchell DM, Sibley JT, Fries JF, Bloch DA, Williams CA, Spitz PW, Haga M, Kleinheksel SM, Cathey MA: The mortality of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1994, 37:481-494.
6. Koivuniemi R, Paimela L, Suomalainen R, Piirainen H, Karesoja M, Helve T, Leirisalo-Repo M: Causes of death in patients with rheumatoid arthritis autopsied during a 40-year period. Rheumatol Int 2008, 28:1245-1252.