Subject: Alaska Native/American Indian people | RC955-962 | Depression; Alaska Native/American Indian people; primary care | Original Research Article | primary care | depression | Arctic medicine. Tropical medicine
Background. A tribal health organization in Alaska implemented a primary care depression screening, detection and management initiative amongst 55,000 Alaska Native/American Indian people (AN/AIs).Objectives. (a) To describe the proportion of AN/AIs screening positive f... View more
1. MacDonald JP, Ford JD, Willox AC, Ross NA. A review of protective factors and causal mechanisms that enhance the mental health of Indigenous circumpolar youth. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2013;72:21775, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/ijch. v72.21775.
2. Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, United Nations Statistical Division, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations. (2015). State of the world's indigenous peoples. New York: United Nations. [cited 23 Sep 2015]. Available from: http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/unpfii/documents/ SOWIP2nd/SOWIP2nd.pdf
3. Bjerregaard P, Young TK. Health transitions in Arctic populations. Toronto, ON: University of Toronto Press; 2008. [cited 23 Sep 2015]. Available from: http://site.ebrary.com/id/ 10381947
4. Kral MJ, Salusky I, Inuksuk P, Angutimarik L, Tulugardjuk N. Tunngajuq: stress and resilience among Inuit youth in Nunavut, Canada. Transcult Psychiatry. 2014;51:673 92.
5. Lehti V, Niemela S, Hoven C, Mandell D, Sourander A. Mental health, substance use and suicidal behaviour among young indigenous people in the Arctic: a systematic review. Soc Sci Med (1982). 2009;69:1194 203.
6. Gone JP, Trimble JE. American Indian and Alaska Native mental health: diverse perspectives on enduring disparities. Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2012;8:131 60.
7. Gonzalez O, Berry JT, McKnight-Eily LR, Strine T, Edwards VJ, Lu H, et al. Current depression among adults United States, 2006 and 2008. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010;59: 1229 35.
8. Rost K, Zhang M, Fortney J, Smith J, Coyne J, Smith GR, Jr. Persistently poor outcomes of undetected major depression in primary care. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 1998;20:12 20.
9. O'Connor EA, Whitlock EP, Beil TL, Gaynes BN. Screening for depression in adult patients in primary care settings: a systematic evidence review. Ann Intern Med. 2009;151: 793 803.
10. Simon GE, VonKorff M, Barlow W. Health care costs of primary care patients with recognized depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1995;52:850 6.