Subject: Electroencephalography | Social and Behavioral Sciences | Research Article | Biology | Diagnostic Medicine | Cognitive Psychology | Cognition | Clinical Neurophysiology | Neuroscience | Psychometrics | Medicine | Learning | Neuroimaging | Q | R | Psychology | Science | Adjustment (Psychology) | Cognitive Neuroscience | Behavior | Neurology
Cognitive control requires the suppression of distracting information in order to focus on task-relevant information. We applied EEG source reconstruction via time-frequency linear constrained minimum variance beamforming to help elucidate the neural mechanisms involved... View more
1. Ridderinkhof KR, van den Wildenberg WP, Segalowitz SJ, Carter CS (2004) Neurocognitive mechanisms of cognitive control: the role of prefrontal cortex in action selection, response inhibition, performance monitoring, and reward-based learning. Brain Cogn 56: 129-140.
2. Botvinick MM, Braver TS, Barch DM, Carter CS, Cohen JD (2001) Conflict monitoring and cognitive control. Psychol Rev 108: 624-652.
3. Carter CS, van Veen V (2007) Anterior cingulate cortex and conflict detection: an update of theory and data. Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci 7: 367-379.
4. Hartwigsen G, Bestmann S, Ward NS, Woerbel S, Mastroeni C, et al. (2012) Left Dorsal Premotor Cortex and Supramarginal Gyrus Complement Each Other during Rapid Action Reprogramming. J Neurosci 32: 16162-16171.
5. Kerns JG, Cohen JD, MacDonald AW 3rd, Cho RY, Stenger VA, et al. (2004) Anterior cingulate conflict monitoring and adjustments in control. Science 303: 1023-1026.
6. Taylor PC, Nobre AC, Rushworth MF (2007) Subsecond changes in top down control exerted by human medial frontal cortex during conflict and action selection: a combined transcranial magnetic stimulation electroencephalography study. J Neurosci 27: 11343-11353.
7. Cavanagh JF, Cohen MX, Allen JJ (2009) Prelude to and resolution of an error: EEG phase synchrony reveals cognitive control dynamics during action monitoring. J Neurosci 29: 98-105.
8. Luu P, Tucker DM, Makeig S (2004) Frontal midline theta and the error-related negativity: neurophysiological mechanisms of action regulation. Clin Neurophysiol 115: 1821-1835.
9. Trujillo LT, Allen JJ (2007) Theta EEG dynamics of the error-related negativity. Clin Neurophysiol 118: 645-668.
10. Cavanagh JF, Frank MJ, Klein TJ, Allen JJ (2010) Frontal theta links prediction errors to behavioral adaptation in reinforcement learning. Neuroimage 49: 3198-3209.