Subject: West Nile virus (WNV) | Biotechnology | Research Article | Genetics | Culex pipiens quinquefasciatus | High throughput RNA sequencing | Vector competence
Background Understanding mechanisms that contribute to viral dissemination in mosquito vectors will contribute to our ability to interfere with the transmission of viral pathogens that impact public health. The expression of genes in two Culex pipiens quinquefasciatus p... View more
1. Dauphin G, Zientara S, Zeller H, Murgue B: West Nile: worldwide current situation in animals and humans. Comp Immunol Microb 2004, 27:343-355.
2. Hayes EB, Komar N, Nasci RS, Montgomery SP, O'Leary DR, Campbell GL: Epidemiology and transmission dynamics of West Nile virus disease. Emerg Infec Dis 2005, 11:1167-1173.
3. Epidemic/Epizootic West Nile virus in the United States: guidelines for surveillance, Prevention, and Control. [http://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/7271]
4. West Nile virus: Statistics, surveillance, and control. [http://www.cdc.gov/ ncidod/dvbid/westnile/surv&controlCaseCount07_detailed.htm]
5. Kramer LD, Ebel GD: Dynamics of flavivirus infection in mosquitoes. Adv Virus Res 2003, 60:187-232.
6. Gubler DJ, Nalim S, Tan R, Saipan H, Sulianti Saroso J: Variation in susceptibility to oral infection with dengue virus among geographic strains of Aedes aegypti. Am J Trop Med 1979, 28:1045-1062.
7. Gubler DJ, Rosen L: Variation among geographic strains of Aedes albopictus is susceptibility to infection with dengue virus. Am J Trop Med 1976, 25:318-346.
8. Tabachnick WJ, Wallis GP, Aitken THG, Miller BR, Amato GD, Lorenz L, Powell JR, Beaty BJ: Oral infection of Aedes aegypti with yellow fever virus: Geographic variation and genetic considerations. Am J Trop Med 1985, 34:1219-1224.
9. Lozano-Fuentes S, Fernandez-Salas I, de Lourdes Munoz M, Garcia-Rejon J, Olson KE, Beaty BJ, Black WC: 4th: The neovolcanic axis is a barrier to gene flow among Aedes aegypti populations in Mexico that differ in vector competence for dengue 2 virus. PLoS Neglect Trop D 2009, 3(6):e468.
10. Beerntsen BT, James AA, Christensen BM: Genetics of mosquito vector competence. Microbiol Mol Biol R 2000, 64:115-137.