Subject: Pidotimod | Recurrent respiratory infections | Immunostimulants | Commentary | Settore MED/38 - Pediatria Generale e Specialistica
At the end of 1990s, acute respiratory tract infections (ARTIs) were called the 'forgotten pandemic’, with a clear dichotomy between developing and industrialised countries in mortality and morbidity, the main outcomes associated with ARTIs. This definition still applie... View more
1. Acute respiratory infections: the forgotten pandemic. Bull World Health Organ 1998, 76:101-103. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9615503.
2. Griffin MR, Walker FJ, Iwane MK, Weinberg GA, Staat MA, Erdman DD, New Vaccine Surveillance Network Study Group: Epidemiology of respiratory infections in young children: insights from the new vaccine surveillance network. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2004, 23:188-192.
3. Karevold G, Kvestad E, Nafstad P, Kvaerner KJ: Respiratory infections in schoolchildren: co-morbidity and risk factors. Arch Dis Child 2006, 91:391-395.
4. Forssel G, Hakansson A, Mansson NO: Risk factors for respiratory tract infections in children aged 2-5 years. Scand J Prim Health Care 2001, 19:122-125.
5. De Martino M, Ballotti S: The child with recurrent respiratory infections: normal or not? Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2007, 18:13-18.
6. van de Pol AC, van der Gugten AC, van der Ent CK, Schilder AG, Benthem EM, Smit HA, Stellato RK, de Wit NJ, Damoiseaux RA: Referrals for recurrent respiratory tract infections including otitis media in young children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2013, 77:906-910.
8. Acute respiratory infections: the forgotten pandemic. Communiqué from the international conference on acute respiratory infections, held in Canberra, Australia, 7-10 July 1997. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 1998, 2:2-4. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Acute+respiratory+infections% 3A+the+forgotten+pandemic.+Communiqu%C3%A9+from+the.
9. McCutcheon H, Fitzgerald M: The public health problem of acute respiratory illness in childcare. J Clin Nurs 2001, 10:305-310.
10. Schaad UB: OM-85 BV, an immunostimulant in pediatric recurrent respiratory tract infections: a systematic review. World J Pediatr 2010, 6:5-12.