Subject: Human disease risk loci | Genetics(clinical) | Research Article | Genetics | Positive selection | Environmental adaptation | Genome-wide association studies | Serial founder effect
Background Demography and environmental adaptation can affect the global distribution of genetic variants and possibly the distribution of disease. Population heterozygosity of single nucleotide polymorphisms has been shown to decrease strongly with distance from Africa... View more
1. Luzzatto L, Nwachuku-Jarrett ES, Reddy S. Increased sickling of parasitised erythrocytes as mechanism of resistance against malaria in the sickle-cell trait. Lancet. 1970;1:319-21.
2. Coop G, Pickrell JK, Novembre J, Kudaravalli S, Li J, et al. The role of geography in human adaptation. PLoS Genet. 2009;5(6):e1000500.
3. Pritchard JK, Pickrell JK, Coop G. The genetics of human adaptation: Hard sweeps, soft sweeps, and polygenic adaptation. Curr Biol. 2010;20(4):R208-15.
4. Lande R. The maintenance of genetic variability by mutation in a polygenic character with linked loci. Genet Res. 1975;26:221-35. doi:10.1017/s0016672300016037.
5. Cavalli-Sforza LL, Feldman MW. The application of molecular genetic approaches to the study of human evolution. Nat Genet. 2003;33(Supplement):266-75.
6. Henn BM, Cavalli-Sforza LL, Feldman MW (2012) The great human expansion. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA109: 17758-17764. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1212380109
7. Henn BM, Gignoux CR, Jobin M, Granka JM, Macpherson J, et al. Huntergatherer genomic diversity suggests a southern African origin for modern humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:5154-62.
8. Ramachandran S, Deshpande O, Roseman CC, Rosenberg NA, Feldman MW, et al. Support from the relationship of genetic and geographic distance in human populations for a serial founder effect originating in Africa. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2005;102:15942-7.
9. Li JZ, Absher DM, Tang H, Southwick AM, Casto AM, et al. Worldwide human relationships inferred from genome-wide patterns of variation. Science. 2008;319:1100-4.
10. Hancock AM, Witonsky DB, Alkorta-Aranburu G, Beall CM, Gebremedhin A, et al. Adaptations to climate-mediated selective pressures in humans. PLoS Genet. 2011;7(4), e1001375. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1001375.