Subject: Cell Differentiation | Research Article | Molecular Cell Biology | Mental Health and Psychiatry | Psychology | Mental Health Therapies | Neurology | Cellular Types | Stem Cells | Biology and Life Sciences | Neural Stem Cells | Developmental Biology | Neuroscience | Neuropsychology | Animal Cells | Medicine | Cellular Neuroscience | Developmental and Pediatric Neurology | Q | R | Cell Biology | Science | Developmental Neuroscience | Medicine and Health Sciences | Drug Psychotherapy
The antidepressant drug fluoxetine (Prozac) has been increasingly prescribed to children and adolescents with depressive disorders despite a lack of thorough understanding of its therapeutic effects in the paediatric population and of its putative neurodevelopmental eff... View more
1. Kapornai K, Vetro´ A (2008) Depression in children. Curr Opin Psychiatry 21: 1-7.
2. Andersen SL, Teicher MH (2008) Stress, sensitive periods and maturational events in adolescent depression. Trends Neurosci 31: 183-191.
3. Bridge JA, Iyengar S, Salary CB, Barbe RP, Birmaher B, et al. (2007) Clinical response and risk for reported suicidal ideation and suicide attempts in pediatric antidepressant treatment: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. JAMA 297: 1683-1696.
4. Hetrick SE, Merry SN, McKenzie J, Sindahl P, Proctor M (2007) Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) for depressive disorders in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev Rev 2007 Issue 3 John Wiley.
5. Jureidini JN, Doecke CJ, Mansfield PR, Haby MM, Menkes DB, et al. (2004) Efficacy and safety of antidepressants for children and adolescents. BMJ Br Med J 328: 879-883.
6. Pi n˜eyro G, Blier P (1999) Autoregulation of serotonin neurons: role in antidepressant drug action. Pharmacol Rev 51: 533-591.
7. Shishkina GT, Kalinina TS, Dygalo NN (2007) Up-regulation of tryptophan hydroxylase-2 mRNA in the rat brain by chronic fluoxetine treatment correlates with its antidepressant effect. Neuroscience 150: 404-412.
8. Bach-Mizrachi H, Underwood MD, Kassir SA, Bakalian MJ, Sibille E, et al. (2006) Neuronal tryptophan hydroxylase mRNA expression in the human dorsal and median raphe nuclei: major depression and suicide. Neuropsychopharmacology 31: 814-824.
9. Wenthur CJ, Bennett MR, Lindsley CW (2014) Classics in chemical neuroscience: fluoxetine (prozac). ACS Chem Neurosci 5: 14-23.
10. Lucassen PJ, Stumpel MW, Wang Q, Aronica E (2010) Decreased numbers of progenitor cells but no response to antidepressant drugs in the hippocampus of elderly depressed patients. Neuropharmacology 58: 940-949.