mesheuropmc: food and beverages | digestive, oral, and skin physiology
Objective Breakfast consumption has been consistently associated with health outcomes and cognitive functioning in schoolchildren. Evidence of direct links with educational outcomes remains equivocal. We aimed to examine the link between breakfast consumption in 9–11-ye... View more
1. Brown T & Summerbell C (2009) Systematic review of school‐based interventions that focus on changing dietary intake and physical activity levels to prevent childhood obesity: an update to the obesity guidance produced by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Obes Rev 10, 110-141.
2. Rothwell H, Shepherd M, Murphy S et al. (2010) Implementing a social-ecological model of health in Wales. Health Educ 110, 471-489.
3. Thomas R, McLellan J & Perera R (2013) School-based programmes for preventing smoking. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4, CD001293.
4. Waters E, de Silva Sanigorski A, Hall BJ et al. (2011) Interventions for preventing obesity in children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev issue 12, CD001871.
5. Bonell C, Humphrey N, Fletcher A et al. (2014) Why schools should promote students' health and wellbeing. BMJ 348, g3078.
6. Public Health England (2014) The Link Between Pupil Health and Wellbeing and Attainment: A Briefing for Head Teachers, Governors and Staff in Education Settings. London: Public Health England.
7. Donaldson G (2015) Successful Futures: Independent Review of Curriculum and Assessment Arrangements in Wales. Cardiff: Welsh Government.
8. Langford R, Bonell CP, Jones HE et al. (2014) The WHO Health Promoting School framework for improving the health and well‐being of students and their academic achievement. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4, CD008958.
9. Murray NG, Low BJ, Hollis C et al. (2007) Coordinated school health programs and academic achievement: a systematic review of the literature. J Sch Health 77, 589-600.
10. Rasberry CN, Lee SM, Robin L et al. (2011) The association between school-based physical activity, including physical education, and academic performance: a systematic review of the literature. Prev Med 52, Suppl. 1, S10-S20.