Subject: Maxwell model | brace stiffness | brace–damper systems | supplemental damping
Viscous fluid dampers have proved to be effective in suppressing unwanted vibrations in a range of engineering structures. When dampers are fitted in a structure, a brace is typically used to attach them to the main structure. The stiffness of this brace can significant... View more
1. Soong T, Dargush G. Passive Energy Dissipation Systems in Structural Engineering, John Wiley & Sons Ltd: Chichester, UK, 1997.
2. Hanson RD, Soong TT. Seismic Design with Supplemental Energy Dissipation Devices. MNO-8, EERI Monograph, 2001.
3. Foti D, Diaferio M, Nobile R. Dynamic behavior of new aluminum-steel energy dissipating devices. Structural Control and Health Monitoring 2013; 20(7):1106-1119. DOI:10.1002/stc.1557.
4. S¸ igaher AN, Constantinou MC. Scissor-jack-damper energy dissipation system. Earthquake Spectra 2003; 19(1):133-158. DOI:10.1193/1.1540999.
5. Constantinou MC, Tsopelas P, Hammel W, Sigaher AN. Toggle-brace-damper seismic energy dissipation systems. Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE 2001; 127(2):105-112.
6. Gluck J, Ribakov Y. Active viscous damping system with amplifying braces for control of MDOF structures. Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics 2002; 31(9):1735-1751. DOI:10.1002/eqe.202.
7. Lavan O, Levy R. Optimal design of supplemental viscous dampers for irregular shear-frames in the presence of yielding. Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics 2005; 34(8):889-907. DOI:10.1002/eqe.458.
8. Martinez-Rodrigo M, Romero M. An optimum retrofit strategy for moment resisting frames with nonlinear viscous dampers for seismic applications. Engineering Structures 2003; 25(7):913-925. DOI:10.1016/S0141- 0296(03)00025-7.
9. Yang JN, Lin S, Kim JH, Agrawal AK. Optimal design of passive energy dissipation systems based on h1 a and h2 performances. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics 2002; 31(4):921-936. DOI:10.1002/eqe.130.
10. Singh MP, Moreschi LM. Optimal seismic response control with dampers. Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics 2001; 30(4):553-572. DOI:10.1002/eqe.23.