Background: dietary interventions during pregnancy alter offspring fitness. We have shown mouse maternal low protein diet fed exclusively for the preimplantation period (Emb-LPD) before return to normal protein diet (NPD) for the rest of gestation, is sufficient to caus... View more
1. Fleming TP, Kwong WY, Porter R, Ursell E, Fesenko I, Wilkins A, et al. The embryo and its future. Biol Reprod. 2004;71(4):1046-54.
2. Fleming TP, Velazquez MA, Eckert JJ, Lucas ES, Watkins AJ. Nutrition of females during the peri-conceptional period and effects on foetal programming and health of offspring. Anim Reprod Sci. 2012;130(3-4):193-7.
3. Steegers-Theunissen RP, Twigt J, Pestinger V, Sinclair KD. The periconceptional period, reproduction and long-term health of offspring: the importance of one-carbon metabolism. Hum Reprod Update. 2013;19(6):640-55.
4. Barker DJ. The origins of the developmental origins theory. J Intern Med. 2007;261(5):412-7.
5. Barker DJ, Thornburg KL. The obstetric origins of health for a lifetime. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2013;56(3):511-9.
6. Langley-Evans SC. Fetal programming of CVD and renal disease: animal models and mechanistic considerations. Proc Nutr Soc. 2013;72(3):317-25.
7. Hanson MA, Gluckman PD. Developmental origins of health and disease: new insights. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2008;102(2):90-3.
8. Kwong WY, Wild AE, Roberts P, Willis AC, Fleming TP. Maternal undernutrition during the preimplantation period of rat development causes blastocyst abnormalities and programming of postnatal hypertension. Development. 2000;127(19):4195-202.
9. Watkins AJ, Ursell E, Panton R, Papenbrock T, Hollis L, Cunningham C, et al. Adaptive responses by mouse early embryos to maternal diet protect fetal growth but predispose to adult onset disease. Biol Reprod. 2008;78(2):299-306.
10. Eckert JJ, Porter R, Watkins AJ, Burt E, Brooks S, Leese HJ, et al. Metabolic induction and early responses of mouse blastocyst developmental programming following maternal low protein diet affecting life-long health. PLoS One. 2012;7(12):e52791.