Subject: Research Article | Hormones | Anatomy | Mental Health and Psychiatry | Health Services Research | Molecular Development | Psychology | Immune System | PerfSci | Cytokines | Steroid Hormones | Immunology | Lipid Hormones | Health Care | Biology and Life Sciences | Emotions | Immune Physiology | Mood Disorders | Developmental Biology | Physiology | Medicine | Body Fluids | Music Therapy | Innate Immune System | Saliva | Q | Anxiety | R | Hydrocortisone | Social Sciences | Science | Biochemistry | Medicine and Health Sciences | Depression | Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Growing numbers of mental health organizations are developing community music-making interventions for service users; however, to date there has been little research into their efficacy or mechanisms of effect. This study was an exploratory examination of whether 10 wee... View more
1. Whiteford HA, Degenhardt L, Rehm J, Baxter AJ, Ferrari AJ, Erskine HE, et al. Global burden of disease attributable to mental and substance use disorders: findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. The Lancet. 2013 Nov; 382(9904):1575-86.
2. Walk A. Music in Correctional Institutions. The Musician's Contribution to Modern Mental Treatment. Music as a Means of Discipline. A Systematic Music Program for Mental Hospitals. Educational Features of an Institutional Music Program. Br J Psychiatry. 1928 Jul 1; 74(306):521-2.
3. Walk A. The Utilization of Music in Prisons and Mental Hospitals. Br J Psychiatry. 1928 Jul 1; 74 (306):521-521.
4. Erkkilä J, Punkanen M, Fachner J, Ala-Ruona E, Pöntiö I, Tervaniemi M, et al. Individual music therapy for depression: randomised controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry. 2011 Aug 1; 199(2):132-9. doi: 10.1192/ bjp.bp.110.085431 PMID: 21474494
5. Talwar N, Crawford MJ, Maratos A, Nur U, McDERMOTT O, Procter S. Music therapy for in-patients with schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry. 2006 Nov 1; 189(5):405-9.
6. Fancourt D, Perkins R, Ascenso S, Atkins L, Kilfeather S, Carvalho LA, et al. Group drumming modulates cytokine activity in mental health service users: a preliminary study. Psychother Psychosom. 2016; 85(1):53-5. doi: 10.1159/000431257 PMID: 26610172
7. Maes M. Major Depression and Activation of The Inflammatory Response System. In: Dantzer R, Wollman EE, Yirmiya R, editors. Cytokines, Stress, and Depression [Internet]. Springer US; 1999 [cited 2014 Nov 22]. p. 25-46. Available from: http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-0-585-37970-8_2
8. Smith RS. The macrophage theory of depression. Med Hypotheses. 1991 Aug; 35(4):298-306. PMID: 1943879
9. Dahl J, Ormstad H, Aass HCD, Malt UF, Bendz LT, Sandvik L, et al. The plasma levels of various cytokines are increased during ongoing depression and are reduced to normal levels after recovery. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2014 Jul; 45:77-86. doi: 10.1016/j.psyneuen.2014.03.019 PMID: 24845179
10. Köhler O, Benros ME, Nordentoft M, Farkouh ME, Iyengar RL, Mors O, et al. Effect of Anti-inflammatory Treatment on Depression, Depressive Symptoms, and Adverse Effects: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials. JAMA Psychiatry. 2014 Dec 1; 71(12):1381-91. doi: 10. 1001/jamapsychiatry.2014.1611 PMID: 25322082