The Chinese government adopted more specific and stringent environmental impact assessment (EIA) guidelines in 2011, soon after the widespread ethnic protests against coal mining in Inner Mongolia. However, our research suggests that the root of the ethnic tension is a ... View more
1. Pierson, D. Coal mining in China's Inner Mongolia fuels tensions. Available online: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/02/business/la-fi-china-coal-20110602 (accessed on 20 June 2014).
2. Jacobs, A.; Shi, D. Anger over Protesters' Deaths Leads to Intensified Demonstrations by Mongolians. New York Times, 31 May 2011.
3. Unrest in China: No pastoral idyll. Available online: http://www.economist.com/node/18775303 (accessed on 22 October 2014).
4. Wen, S. Illegal emissions from rare earth refineries polluted Inner Mongolian grassland and killed 60,000 livestock. Available online: http://news.sina.com.cn/c/2003-09-20/0524784605s.shtml (accessed on 28 August 2014). (In Chinese)
5. China Light & Power Company Syndicate (CLP) Netcom. Inner Mongolian grassland polluted, cancer villages burst out. Available online: http://www.china125.com/news/it/1837.htm (accessed on 28 August 2014). (In Chinese)
6. Liu, L. Made in China: Cancer Villages. Environ. Sci. Policy Sustain. Dev. 2010, 52, 8-21.
7. Jacobs, A. Ethnic Protests in China Have Lengthy Roots. Available online: http://www.nytimes.com/ 2011/06/11/world/asia/11mongolia.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 (accessed on 23 October 2014).
8. Qian, T.; Bagan, H.; Kinoshita, T.; Yamagata, Y. Spatial-temporal analyses of surface coal mining dominated land degradation in Holingol, Inner Mongolia. IEEE J. Sel. Topics Appl. Earth Obs. Rem. Sens. 2014, 7, 1675-1687.
9. Yang, S. Inner Mongolia sinking under the weight of its mining industry. Available online: http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/734241.shtml (accessed on 20 June 2014).
10. Greenpeace. Coal impacts on water, 21 March 2014. Available online: http://www.greenpeace.org/ international/en/campaigns/climate-change/coal/Water-impacts/ (accessed on 28 August 2014).