Subject: Fruit development | Research Article | CmOr | Carotenoids | Beta-carotene | Transcriptome | Plant Science | Bulk segregant analysis | Melon | Cucumis melo
mesheuropmc: food and beverages
Background Melon fruit flesh color is primarily controlled by the “golden” single nucleotide polymorhism of the “Orange” gene, CmOr, which dominantly triggers the accumulation of the pro-vitamin A molecule, β-carotene, in the fruit mesocarp. The mechanism by which CmOr ... View more
1. Nisar N, Li L, Lu S, Khin NC, Pogson BJ. Carotenoid metabolism in plants. Mol Plant. 2015;8:68-82.
2. Fraser PD, Bramley PM. The biosynthesis and nutritional uses of carotenoids. Prog Lipid Res. 2004;43:228-65.
3. Krinsky NI, Landrum JT, Bone RA. Biologic mechanisms of the protective role of lutein and zeaxanthin in the eye. Annu Rev Nutr. 2003;23:171-201.
4. Palace VP, Khaper N, Qin Q, Singal PK. Antioxidant potentials of vitamin A and carotenoids and their relevance to heart disease. Free Radic Biol Med. 1999;26:746-61.
5. Simkin AJ, Schwartz SH, Auldridge M, Taylor MG, Klee HJ. The tomato carotenoid cleavage dioxygenase 1 genes contribute to the formation of the flavor volatiles beta-ionone, pseudoionone, and geranylacetone. Plant J. 2004;40:882-92.
6. Walter MH, Floss DS, Strack D. Apocarotenoids: hormones, mycorrhizal metabolites and aroma volatiles. Planta. 2010;232:1-17.
7. Ibdah M, Azulay Y, Portnoy V, Wasserman B, Bar E, Meir A, et al. Functional characterization of CmCCD1, a carotenoid cleavage dioxygenase from melon. Phytochemistry. 2006;67:1579-89.
8. Goff SA, Klee HJ. Plant volatile compounds: sensory cues for health and nutritional value? Science. 2006;311:815-9.
9. Borovsky Y, Tadmor Y, Bar E, Meir A, Lewinsohn E, Paran I. Induced mutation in β-CAROTENE HYDROXYLASE results in accumulation of β-carotene and conversion of red to orange color in pepper fruit. Theor Appl Genet. 2013;126:557-65.
10. Lewinsohn E, Sitrit Y, Bar E, Azulay Y, Meir A, Zamir D, et al. Carotenoid pigmentation affects the volatile composition of tomato and watermelon fruits, as revealed by comparative genetic analyses. J Agric Food Chem. 2005;53:3142-8.