Subject: Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine | Research Article | Seizure inducibility | Electroconvulsive therapy | Auditory evoked potential
Background Precise control of anesthetic depth during electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is crucial because most intravenous anesthetics have anticonvulsant effects. In this study, we investigated the association between anesthetic depth measured by the Alaris auditory evo... View more
1. Ding Z, White PF: Anesthesia for electroconvulsive therapy. Anesth Analg 2002, 94(5):1351-1364.
2. Rasmussen K: The practice of electroconvulsive therapy: recommendations for treatment, training, and privileging (second edition). J ECT 2002, 18(1):58-59.
3. White PF, Rawal S, Recart A, Thornton L, Litle M, Stool L: Can the bispectral index be used to predict seizure time and awakening after electroconvulsive therapy? Anesth Analg 2003, 96(6):1636-1639. table of contents.
4. Gunawardane PO, Murphy PA, Sleigh JW: Bispectral index monitoring during electroconvulsive therapy under propofol anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 2002, 88(2):184-187.
5. Hanss R, Bauer M, Bein B, Goeder R, Buttgereit B, Schulz-Du Bois AC, Steinfath M, Scholz J: Bispectral index-controlled anaesthesia for electroconvulsive therapy. Eur J Anaesthesiol 2006, 23(3):202-207.
6. Murali N, Saravanan ES, Ramesh VJ, Gangadhar BN, Jananakiramiah N, Kumar SS, Christopher R, Subbakrishna DK: An intrasubject comparison of two doses of succinylcholine in modified electroconvulsive therapy. Anesth Analg 1999, 89(5):1301-1304.
7. Rasmussen KG, Laurila DR, Brady BM, Lewis CL, Niemeyer KD, Sun NM, Marienau ME, Hooten WM, Schroeder DR, Spackman TM: Seizure length with sevoflurane and thiopental for induction of general anesthesia in electroconvulsive therapy: a randomized double-blind trial. J ECT 2006, 22(4):240-242.
8. Gajraj RJ, Doi M, Mantzaridis H, Kenny GN: Comparison of bispectral EEG analysis and auditory evoked potentials for monitoring depth of anaesthesia during propofol anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 1999, 82(5):672-678.
9. Weber F, Bein T, Hobbhahn J, Taeger K: Evaluation of the Alaris Auditory Evoked Potential Index as an indicator of anesthetic depth in preschool children during induction of anesthesia with sevoflurane and remifentanil. Anesthesiology 2004, 101(2):294-298.