Non-Technical Skills (NTS) for enhancing patient safety: achievements and future directions
Naonori Kodate; Alastair J. Ross; Janet E. Anderson; Rhona Flin;
Publisher: Japanese Society for Quality and Safety in Healthcare
Subject: Patient safety | Human factors | Non-technical skills | NTC, patient safety, non-technical skill, inter-professional relations, medical education and training, systems theory, resilience engineering | Healthcare | Resilience engineering
Problems in team communication and decision making have been implicated in accidents in
high risk industries such as aviation, off shore oil processing, nuclear power generation.
Recognition of the role that breakdowns in communication and teamwork play in patient... View more
1) Flin R, O'Connor P, Crichton M: Safety at the sharp end: a guide to non-technical skills . Ashgate, Aldershot, 2008.
2) G o r d o n M , D a r b y s h i r e D , B a k e r P : N o n - technical skills training to enhance patient safety: a systematic review. Medical Education 46(11):1042-1054, 2012.
3) WHO Alliance for Patient Safety: WHO patient safety curriculum guide for medical schools. 2009 [22.09.2012]; Available from: www.who.int/ patientsafety/education/medical_curriculum/en/ index.html
4) World Health Organization: Patient Safety Curriculum Guide: Multi-professional Edition . In: WHO (Ed): Geneva, 2011.
5) House of Commons Health Committee: Patient Safety. 6th Report of session 2008-09 . Stationery Office, London, 2009.
6) University of Aberdeen: The Non-Technical Skills for Surgeons (NOTSS) System Handbook: Industrial Psychology Research Centre, School of Psychology, University of Aberdeen, 2007. Available from: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/iprc/notss/ 7) Flin R, Yule S, Paterson-Brown S, Maran N, Rowley D, Youngson G: Teaching surgeons about non-technical skills. The surgeon : journal of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Ireland 5(2): 6-89, 2007.
8) Flin R, O'Connor P, Crichton M: Japanese translation of “Safety at the sharp end”). Kaibundo Publishing Co, Tokyo, 2012.
9) Mitchell L, Flin R: . , (Japanese translation of “Scrub practitioners: list of intra-operative non-technical skills”). 2011. h t t p : / / w w w. a b d n . a c . u k / i p r c / u p l o a d s / f i l e s / Japanese%20SPLINTS%20Handbook.pdf
10) Takahashi R: Introduction to non-technical skills training (Japanese). In: Nakajima K, Kodama Y (Eds): Iryo anzen kotohajime (Introduction to patient safety). Igakushoin, Tokyo, 35-53, 2010.
11) Tsuburaya A: Non-technical skills for surgeons: desired actions and skills for patient safety (Japanese). Shukan Igakukai Shinbun 06 Aug 2012.