Subject: pipeline | minorities in medicine | Special aspects of education | medical school admission | Research Article | medical education | healthcare workforce | R5-920 | Medicine (General) | minority health | minority health; medical education; pipeline; healthcare workforce; minorities in medicine; medical school admission | LC8-6691
Purpose: We compared MCAT scores, grade point averages (GPAs), and medical school acceptance rates of Black and Latino students in an outreach program called Undergraduate Science Students Together Reaching Instructional Diversity and Excellence (USSTRIDE) to non-USSTRI... View more
1. Palepu A, Carr PL, Friedman RH, Ash AS, Moskowitz MA. Specialty choices, compensation, and career satisfaction of underrepresented minority faculty in academic medicine. Acad Med 2000; 75: 157 60.
2. Thomas B, Manusov EG, Wang A, Livingston H. Contributors of black men's success in admission to and graduation from medical school. Acad Med 2011; 86: 892 900.
3. Johnson JC, Jayadevappa R, Taylor L, Askew A, Williams B, Johnson B. Extending the pipeline for minority physicians: a comprehensive program for minority faculty development. Acad Med 1998; 73: 237 44.
4. Rashied-Henry K, Fraser-White M, Roberts CB, Morgan R, Brown H, Shaw R, et al. Engaging minority high school students as health disparities interns: findings and policy implications of a summer youth pipeline program. J Natl Med Assoc 2012; 104: 412 19.
5. Phillips JL, Harris TB, Ihedigbo KM, Hawkins J. Saturday morning science programs: a model to increase diversity in the biosciences. J Natl Med Assoc 2012; 104: 377 83.
6. Holloman JB, Hubble MW. High school allied health students and their exposure to the profession of EMS. Prehosp Disaster Med 2012; 27: 245 51.
7. Deas D, Pisano ED, Mainous AG, Johnson NG, Singleton MH, Gordon L, et al. Improving diversity through strategic planning: a 10-year (2002 2012) experience at the Medical University of South Carolina. Acad Med 2002; 87: 1548 55.
8. Toney M. The long, winding road: one university's quest for minority health care professionals and services. Acad Med 2012; 87: 1556 61.
9. Formicola AJ. With growing evidence of successful methods to increase student diversity, what's needed now is commitment. J Dent Educ 2013; 77: 535 6.
10. Formicola AJ, D'Abreu KC, Tedesco LA. Underrepresented minority dental student recruitment and enrollment programs: an overview from the dental Pipeline program. J Dent Educ 2010; 74: S67 73.