Farmed animals such as pig and poultry receive additional Zn and Cu in their diets due to supplementing elements in compound feed as well as medical remedies. Enteral bacteria in farmed animals are shown to develop resistance to trace elements such as Zn and Cu. Resista... View more
1. Merag Moghaddam HN, Jahanian R. Immunological responses of broiler chicks can be modulated by dietary supplementation of zinc-methionine in place of inorganic zinc sources. Asian Aust J Anim Sci 2009; 22: 396 03.
2. EFSA (2010). Pre-assessment of environmental impact of zinc and copper used in animal nutrition. Prepared by Monteiro SC, Lofts S, Boxall AB, EFSA-Q-2008-04980.
3. Amachawadi RG, Shelton NW, Shi X, Vinasco J, Dritz SS, Tokach MD, et al. Selection of fecal enterococci exhibiting tcrB-mediated copper resistance in pigs fed diets supplemented with copper. Appl Environ Microbiol 2011; 77: 5597 603.
4. Cavaco LM, Hasman H, Aarestrup FM. Zinc resistance of Staphylococcus aureus of animal origin is strongly associated with methicillin resistance. Vet Microbiol 2011; 150: 344 8.
5. Ley RE, Hamady M, Lozupone C, Turnbaugh PJ, Ramey RR, Bircher JS, et al. Evolution of mammals and their gut microbes. Science 2008; 320: 1647 51.
6. O'Hara AM, Shanahan F. The gut flora as a forgotten organ. EMBO Rep 2006; 7: 688 93.
8. Backhed F, Ley RE, Sonnenburg JL, Peterson DA, Gordon JI. Host-bacterial mutualism in the human intestine. Science 2005; 307: 1915 20.
9. Castillo M, Skene G, Roca M, Anguita M, Badiola I, Duncan SH, et al. Application of 16S rRNA gene targetted fluorescence in situ hybridization and restriction fragment length polymorphism to study porcine microbiota along the gastrointestinal tract in response to different sources of dietary fibre. FEMS Microbiol Ecol 2007; 59: 138 46.
10. Lozupone CA, Stombaugh JI, Gordon JI, Jansson JK, Knight R. Diversity, stability and resilience of the human gut microbiota. Nature 2012; 489: 220 30.