Subject: Biotechnology | Genetics | Research Article | Flower color | Transcriptome | Magnolia sprengeri | Flavonoid biosynthesis
mesheuropmc: food and beverages | fungi
Background Magnolia sprengeri Pamp is one of the most highly valuable medicinal and ornamental plants of the Magnolia Family. The natural color of M. sprengeri is variable. The complete genome sequence of M. sprengeri is not available; therefore we sequenced the transcr... View more
1. Kang YX, Ejder E: Magnolia sprengeri Pamp.: morphological variation and geographical distribution. Plant Biosyst 2011, 145:906-923.
2. Weiss D: Regulation of flower pigmentation and growth: multiple signaling pathways control anthocyanin synthesis in expanding petals. Physiol Plant 2000, 110:152-157.
3. Ithal N, Reddy AR: Rice flavonoid pathway genes, OsDfr and OsAns, are induced by dehydration, high salt and ABA, and contain stress responsive promoter elements that interact with the transcription activator, OsC1-MYB. Plant Sci 2004, 166:1505-1513.
4. Irani N, Grotewold E: Light-induced morphological alteration in anthocyanin-accumulating vacuoles of maize cells. BMC Plant Biol 2005, 5:7.
5. Pasko P, Barton H, Zagrodzki P, Gorinstein S, Folta M, Zachwieja Z: Anthocyanins, total polyphenols and antioxidant activity in amaranth and quinoa seeds and sprouts during their growth. Food Chem 2009, 115:994-998.
6. Ordidge M, García-Macías P, Battey NH, Gordon MH, John P, Lovegrove JA, Vysini E, Wagstaffe A, Hadley P: Development of color and firmness in strawberry crops is UV light sensitive, but color is not a good predictor of several quality parameters. J Sci Food Agric 2011, 92:1597-1604.
7. Fengjuan F, Minjun L, Fengwang M, Lailaing C: Phenylpropanoid metabolites and expression of key genes involved in anthocyanin biosynthesis in the shaded peel of apple fruit in response to sun exposure. Plant Physiol Bioch 2013, 69:54-61.
8. Koes RE, Quattrocchio F, Mol JNM: The flavonoid biosynthetic pathway in plants: function and evolution. Bioessays 1994, 16:123-132.
9. Holton TA, Cornish EC: Genetics and biochemistry of anthocyanin biosynthesis. Plant Cell 1995, 7:1071-1083.
10. Winkel-Shirley B: Flavonoid biosynthesis: a colorful model for genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, and biotechnology. Plant Physiol 2001, 126:485-493.