Subject: Africa | Research Article | R723-726 | Genomic research | Consent | Research ethics | Medical philosophy. Medical ethics | Ghana | Health Policy | Genetic research | Health(social science) | Issues, ethics and legal aspects | Qualitative research
<p><strong>Background:</strong> Seeking consent for genetic and genomic research can be challenging, particularly in populations with low literacy levels, and in emergency situations. All of these factors were relevant to the MalariaGEN study of genetic factors influenc... View more
1. Council for International Organizations of Medical Sciences: International ethical guidelines for biomedical research involving human subjects. 3rd edition. Geneva: CIOMS; 2002:112.
2. World Medical Association: Declaration of Helsinki. In: 59th World Medical Assembly, Seoul. Edited by Assembly WM. 7th edition. Geneva: World Medical Association; 2008.
3. Dawson L, Kass NE: Views of US researchers about informed consent in international collaborative research. Soc Sci Med 2005, 61(6):1211-1222.
4. Marshall PA: Informed consent in international health research. J Empir Res Hum Res Ethics 2006, 1(1):25-42.
5. Tindana PO, Kass N, Akweongo P: The informed consent process in a rural african setting: a case study of the kassena-nankana district of northern ghana. IRB 2006, 28:1-6.
6. Molyneux CS, Wassenaar DR, Peshu N, Marsh K: 'Even if they ask you to stand by a tree all day, you will have to do it (laughter). . .!': community voices on the notion and practice of informed consent for biomedical research in developing countries. Soc Sci Med 2005, 61(2):443-454.
7. Molyneux CS, Peshu N, Marsh K: Understanding of informed consent in a low- income setting: three case studies from the Kenyan coast. Soc Sci Med 2004, 59(12):2547-2559.
8. Cuttini M: Proxy informed consent in pediatric research: a review. Early Hum Dev 2000, 60(2):89-100.
9. Shelton AK, Fish AF, Cobb JP, Bachman JA, Jenkins RL, Battistich V, Freeman BD: Surrogate consent for genomics research in intensive care. Am J Crit Care 2009, 18(5):418-426. quiz 427.
10. Vargas-Parada L, Kawa S, Salazar A, Mazon JJ, Flisser A: Informed consent in clinical research at a general hospital in Mexico: opinions of the investigators. Dev World Bioeth 2006, 6(1):41-51.