Subject: :Engenharia e Tecnologia::Outras Engenharias e Tecnologias [Domínio/Área Científica] | distance measurement | :Ciências Naturais::Ciências Químicas [Domínio/Área Científica] | force measurement | walker assistive device | usage monitoring | force measurements | gait analysis | Article
This paper presents a measurement system intended to monitor the usage of walker assistive devices. The goal is to guide the user in the correct use of the device in order to prevent risky situations and maximize comfort. Two risk indicators are defined: one related to ... View more
1. Werner, C.A. The Older Population: 2010. 2010 Census Briefs, U.S. Census Bureau. Available online: https://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-09.pdf (accessed on 1 November 2017).
2. Taylor, A.W.; Michael, J.J. Physiology of Exercise and Healthy Aging; Human Kinetics: Champaign, IL, USA, 2008; ISBN 978-0-7360-5838-4.
3. Older Americans 2008: Key Indicators of Well-Being. Federal Interagency Forum on Aging-Related Statistics. Available online: https://agingstats.gov/docs/PastReports/2008/OA2008.pdf (accessed on 1 November 2017).
4. The Demographic Future of Europe-From Challenge to Opportunity. European Commission. Available online: http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/employment_and_social_policy/situation_in_europe/ c10160_en.htm (accessed on 1 November 2017).
5. Faruqui, S.R.; Jaeblon, T. Ambulatory Assistive Devices in Orthopedics: Uses and Modifications. J. Am. Acad. Orthop. Surg. 2010, 18, 41-50. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
6. NTT DATA. Americas White Paper: Trends in Telehealth; NTT DATA: Tokyo, Japan, 2013.
7. Bateni, H.; Maki, B.E. Assistive Devices for Balance and Mobility: Benefits, Demands and Adverse Consequences. Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabilit. 2005, 86, 134-145. [CrossRef]
8. Stevens, J.A.; Thomas, K.; Teh, L.; Greenspan, A.I. Unintentional fall injuries associated with walkers and canes in older adults treated in U.S. emergency departments. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2009, 57, 1464-1469. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
9. Gitlin, L.; Burgh, D. Issuing assistive devices to older patients in rehabilitation: An exploratory study. Am. J. Occup. Ther. 1995, 49, 994-1000. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
10. Ely, D.D.; Smidt, G.L. Effect of cane on variables of gait for patients with hip disorders. Phys. Ther. 1977, 57, 507-512. [CrossRef] [PubMed]