Subject: Short Paper | Biology (General) | QH301-705.5
mesheuropmc: stomatognathic system
<p>Abstract</p> <p>Background</p> <p>Although various acceptable and easy-to-use devices have been used for saliva collection, cotton swabs are among the most common ones. Previous studies reported that cotton swabs yield a lower level of melatonin detection. However, t... View more
1. Reiter RJ: Pineal melatonin: cell biology of its synthesis and of its physiological interactions. Endocr Rev 1991, 12:151-180.
2. Arendt J: Melatonin and the pineal gland: influence on mammalian seasonal and circadian physiology. Rev Reprod 1998, 3:13-22.
3. Canton JL, Smith MR, Choi HS, Eastman CI: Phase delaying the human circadian clock with a single light pulse and moderate delay of the sleep/dark episode: no influence of iris color. J Circadian Rhythms 2009, 7:8.
4. Lewy AJ, Cutler NL, Sack RL: The endogenous melatonin profile as a marker for circadian phase position. J Biol Rhythms 1999, 14:227-236.
5. Smith MR, Eastman CI: Phase delaying the human circadian clock with blue-enriched polychromatic light. Chronobiol Int 2009, 26:709-725.
6. Grundy A, Sanchez M, Richardson H, Tranmer J, Borugian M, Graham CH, Aronson KJ: Light intensity exposure, sleep duration, physical activity, and biomarkers of melatonin among rotating shift nurses. Chronobiol Int 2009, 26:1443-1461.
7. Voultsios A, Kennaway DJ, Dawson D: Salivary melatonin as a circadian phase marker: validation and comparison to plasma melatonin. J Biol Rhythms 1997, 12:457-466.
8. Weber JM, Lo ES, Unger I, Cooper TB: Melatonin in saliva: sampling procedure and stability. Poster presented at the 11th Annual Meeting of the Society for Light Treatment and Biological Rhythms (SLTBR) Old Town Alexandria, VA, USA 1999.
9. Groschl M, Kohler H, Topf HG, Rupprecht T, Rauh M: Evaluation of saliva collection devices for the analysis of steroids, peptides and therapeutic drugs. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2008, 47:478-486.
10. Kozaki T, Hashiguchi N, Kaji Y, Yasukouchi A, Tochihara Y: Effects of saliva collection using cotton swab on cortisol enzyme immunoassay. Eur J Appl Physiol 2009, 107:743-746.