Subject: Dermatology | Optical diagnostics for medicine | Spectroscopy, tissue diagnostics | Article | Medical optics instrumentation
<p>We demonstrate a low-cost optical method for measuring the gloss properties with improved sensitivity in the low gloss regime, relevant for skin gloss properties. The gloss estimation method is based on, on the one hand, the slope of the intensity gradient in the tra... View more
1. J. Ripoll, D. Yessayan, G. Zacharakis, and V. Ntziachristos, “Experimental determination of photon propagation in highly absorbing and scattering media,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 22(3), 546-551 (2005).
2. W. Ji, M. R. Pointer, R. M. Luo, and J. Dakin, “Gloss as an aspect of the measurement of Appearance,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 23(1), 22-33 (2006).
3. A. Ponticorvo, D. M. Burmeister, B. Yang, B. Choi, R. J. Christy, and A. J. Durkin, “Quantitative assessment of graded burn wounds in a porcine model using spatial frequency domain imaging (SFDI) and laser speckle imaging (LSI),” Biomed. Opt. Express 5(10), 3467-3481 (2014).
4. N. Samson, B. Fink, and P. J. Matts, “Visible skin condition and perception of human facial appearance,” Int. J. Cosmet. Sci. 32(3), 167-184 (2010).
5. A. Matsubara, Z. Liang, Y. Sato, and K. Uchikawa, “Analysis of human perception of facial skin radiance by means of image histogram parameters of surface and subsurface reflections from the skin,” Skin Res. Technol. 18(3), 265-271 (2012).
6. J. C. Huff, W. L. Weston, and M. G. Tonnesen, “Erythema multiforme: A critical review of characteristics, diagnostic criteria, and causes,” J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 8(6), 763-775 (1983).
7. W. G. van Lankveld, M. C. Vonk, H. Teunissen, and F. H. van den Hoogen, “Appearance self-esteem in systemic sclerosis--subjective experience of skin deformity and its relationship with physician-assessed skin involvement, disease status and psychological variables,” Rheumatology (Oxford) 46(5), 872-876 (2007).
8. L. Li, C. So-ling Ng, “Rendering human skin using a multi-layer reflection model,” Int. J. Math. Comput. Simul. 1(3), 44-53 (2009).
9. H. Ding, J. Q. Lu, K. M. Jacobs, and X. H. Hu, “Determination of refractive indices of porcine skin tissues and Intralipid at eight wavelengths between 325 and 1557 nm,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 22(6), 1151-1157 (2005).
10. D. T. Downing, “Lipid and protein structures in the permeability barrier of mammalian epidermis,” J. Lipid Res. 33(3), 301-313 (1992).