Subject: brain development | RG1-991 | choline | International Journal of Women's Health | Expert Opinion | pregnancy | Gynecology and obstetrics | placenta | birth defects | liver function
Steven H Zeisel Nutrition Research Institute at Kannapolis, Department of Nutrition, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Kannapolis, NC, USA Abstract: Women, during pregnancy and lactation, should eat foods that contain adequate amounts of choline. A mother de... View more
1. Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences USA. Choline. In: Dietary Reference Intakes for Folate, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, and Choline. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1998:390-422.
2. Zeisel SH. Choline: critical role during fetal development and dietary requirements in adults. Annu Rev Nutr. 2006;26:229-250.
3. Zeisel SH, Mar MH, Howe JC, Holden JM. Concentrations of choline-containing compounds and betaine in common foods. J Nutr. 2003;133(5):1302-1307.
4. Shaw GM, Carmichael SL, Yang W, Selvin S, Schaffer DM. Periconceptional dietary intake of choline and betaine and neural tube defects in offspring. Am J Epidemiol. 2004;160(2):102-109.
5. Cho E, Zeisel SH, Jacques P, et al. Dietary choline and betaine assessed by food-frequency questionnaire in relation to plasma total homocysteine concentration in the Framingham Offspring Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006;83(4):905-911.
6. Bidulescu A, Chambless LE, Siega-Riz AM, Zeisel SH, Heiss G. Usual choline and betaine dietary intake and incident coronary heart disease: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2007;7:20.
7. Bidulescu A, Chambless LE, Siega-Riz AM, Zeisel SH, Heiss G. Repeatability and measurement error in the assessment of choline and betaine dietary intake: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study. Nutr J. 2009;8:14.
8. Cho E, Willett WC, Colditz GA, et al. Dietary choline and betaine and the risk of distal colorectal adenoma in women. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007;99(16):1224-1231.
9. Gossell-Williams M, Fletcher H, McFarlane-Anderson N, JacobA, Patel J, Zeisel S. Dietary intake of choline and plasma choline concentrations in pregnant women in Jamaica. West Indian Med J. 2005;54(6):355-359.
10. Hollenbeck CB. An introduction to the nutrition and metabolism of choline. Cent Nerv Syst Agents Med Chem. 2012;12(2):100-113.