Shanghai, as a coastal city, is vulnerable to various types of flooding. The floodwalls along the Huangpu River provide protection against typhoon-induced flooding. However, there is limited insight into the actual safety level of the flood defences in Shanghai, and rec... View more
1. Small, C.; Nicholls, R.J. A global analysis of human settlement in coastal zones. J. Coast. Res. 2003, 19, 584-599.
2. Nicholls, R.J.; Hanson, S.; Herweijer, C.; Patmore, N.; Hallegatte, S.; Corfee-Morlot, J.; Chateau, J. Muir-Wood, Ranking of the World's Cities Most Exposed to Coastal Flooding Today and in the Future-Executive Summary; OECD Project; OECD Publishing: Paris, France, 2007.
3. Nicholls, R.J.; Hanson, S.; Herweijer, C.; Patmore, N.; Hallegatte, S.; Corfee-Morlot, J.; Chateau, J.; Muir-Wood, R.; Classification, J. Ranking Port Cities with High Exposure and Vulnerability to Climate Extremes: Exposure Estimates; OECD Environment Working Papers No.1; OECD Publishing: Paris, France, 2007.
4. Hallegate, S.; Green, C.; Nicholls, R.J.; Corfee-Morlot, J. Future flood losses in major coastal cities. Nat. Clim. Chang. 2013, 3, 802-806. [CrossRef]
5. Gong, S. Impact of land subsidence on urban flood defence of Shanghai city. Yangtze River 2008, 39, 1-4. (In Chinese)
6. Shen, H.; Wei, Z.; Wu, J.; Cheng, W.; Zou, D. Subsidence features of Huangpu River floodwall and the analysis on its effects on flood control ability. Shanghai Geol. 2005, 4, 21-24. (In Chinese)
7. Jia, R.H. Water level frequency analysis for the main hydrological stations in the Huangpu River. Shanghai Hydraul. Eng. 1984, 1, 1-10. (In Chinese)
8. Hohai University. Tide Analysis for the Huangpu River; Hohai University: Nanjing, China, 2004. (In Chinese)
9. Xu, S.; Huang, W. Estimating extreme water levels with long-term data by GEV distribution at Wusong station near Shanghai city in Yangtze Estuary. Ocean Eng. 2011, 38, 468-478. [CrossRef]
10. SWA-Shanghai Water Authority. Public Report of Water Resources Information for Shanghai. 2013. Available online: http://184.108.40.206/BMXX/default.htm?GroupName=%CB%AE%D7%CA%D4%B4% B9%AB%B1%A8 (accessed on 3 February 2014). (In Chinese)