Subject: Review Article | RA1-1270 | Public aspects of medicine | global justice | medical tourism | medical tourism; health human resources; global justice | health human resources | Global Health; Ethics; Health Systems | RA
mesheuropmc: human activities
Medical tourism is a practice where individuals cross international borders in order to access medical care. This practice can impact the global distribution of health workers by potentially reducing the emigration of health workers from destination countries for medica... View more
1. Cohen IG. Patients with passports: medical tourism, law, and ethics. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press; 2014.
2. Crooks VA, Kingsbury P, Snyder J, Johnston R. What is known about the patient's experience of medical tourism? A scoping review. BMC Health Serv Res 2010; 10: 266.
3. Johnston R, Crooks VA, Snyder J, Kingsbury P. What is known about the effects of medical tourism in destination and departure countries? A scoping review. Int J Equity Health 2010; 9: 24.
4. Ramirez de Arellano AB. Patients without borders: the emergence of medical tourism. Int J Health Serv 2007; 37: 193 8.
5. Lautier M. Export of health services from developing countries: the case of Tunisia. Soc Sci Med 2008; 67: 101 10.
6. Snyder J, Crooks VA, Turner L, Johnston R. Understanding the impacts of medical tourism on health human resources in Barbados: a prospective, qualitative study of stakeholder perceptions. Int J Equity Health 2013; 12: 2.
7. Connell J. Medical tourism: sea, sun, sand and . . . surgery. Tourism Manage 2006; 27: 1093 100.
8. A´ lvarez MM, Smith RD, Chanda R. The impact of medical tourism in low- and middle-income countries. In: Botterill D, Pennings G, Mainil T, eds. Medical tourism and transnational health care. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan; 2013. p. 208.
9. Smith R, Chanda R, Tangcharoensathien V. Trade in healthrelated services. Lancet 2009; 373: 593 601.
10. Wibulpolprasert S, Pachanee C. Addressing the internal brain drain of medical doctors in Thailand: the story and lesson learned. Glob Soc Policy 2008; 8: 12 15.