Sex-related differences in risk factors, type of treatment received and outcomes in patients with atrial fibrillation and acute stroke: Results from the RAF-study (Early Recurrence and Cerebral Bleeding in Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke and Atrial Fibrillation)
Subject: anticoagulation therapy | Original Research Articles | atrial fibrillation | secondary prevention | stroke outcome | Sex differences | ischemic stroke
mesheuropmc: cardiovascular diseases
Introduction: Atrial fibrillation is an independent risk factor of thromboembolism. Women with atrial fibrillation are at a higher overall risk for stroke compared to men with atrial fibrillation. The aim of this study was to evaluate for sex differences in patients wit... View more
1. Gladstone DJ, Bui E, Fang J, et al. Potentially preventable strokes in high-risk patients with atrial fibrillation who are not adequately anticoagulated. Stroke 2009; 40: 235-240.
2. Saposnik G, Gladstone D, Raptis R, et al. Atrial fibrillation in ischemic stroke: predicting response to thrombolysis and clinical outcomes. Stroke 2013; 44: 99-104.
3. Hart RG, Pearce LA and Aguilar MI. Metaanalysis: antithrombotic therapy to prevent stroke in patients who have nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Ann Intern Med 2007; 146: 857-867.
4. Bushnell C and McCullough L. Stroke prevention in women: synopsis of the 2014 American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Guideline. Ann Intern Med 2014; 160: 853-857.
5. Cove CL, Albert CM, Andreotti F, et al. Female sex as an independent risk factor for stroke in atrial fibrillation: possible mechanisms. Thromb Haemost 2014; 111.3: 385-391.
6. Fang MC, Singer DE, Chang Y, et al. Gender differences in the risk of ischemic stroke and peripheral embolism in atrial fibrillation: the Anticoagulation and Risk Factors in Atrial Fibrillation (ATRIA) study. Circulation 2005; 112: 1687-1691.
7. Lip GY, Nieuwlaat R, Pisters R, et al. Refining clinical risk stratification for predicting stroke and thromboembolism in atrial fibrillation using a novel risk factor-based approach: the Euro Heart Survey on atrial fibrillation. Chest 2010; 137: 263-272.
8. Dagres N, Nieuwlaat R, Vardas PE, et al. Gender-related differences in presentation, treatment, and outcome of patients with atrial fibrillation in Europe: a report from the Euro Heart Survey on Atrial Fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 49: 572-577.
9. Jespersen SF, Christensen LM, Christensen A, et al. Use of oral anticoagulation therapy in atrial fibrillation after stroke: results from a nationwide registry. Thrombosis 2013; 7 p., http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/ 601450 (accessed 25 September 2013).
10. Paciaroni M, Agnelli G, Falocci N, et al. Early recurrence and cerebral bleeding in patients with acute ischemic stroke and atrial fibrillation. effect of anticoagulation and its timing: The RAF Study. Stroke 2015; 46: 2175-2182.