Subject: Saúde do adolescente | Risk factors | Egypt | Adolescent health | Violência intra-familiar | Fatores de risco | Prevalência | Prevalence | Mexico | México | Fatores socioeconômicos | RA1-1270 | Public aspects of medicine | Egito | Intra-familial violence | Socio-economic factors
OBJECTIVE: To determine the prevalence of experiencing intra-familial violence among Mexican and Egyptian youth and to describe its associated risk factors. METHODS: Data from questionnaires applied to 12,862 Mexican and 5,662 Egyptian youth, aged 10 to 19, who attended... View more
1. Brook DW, Brook, JS, Rosen Z, De la Rosa M, Montoya ID, Whiteman M. Early risk factors for violence in Colombian adolescents. Am J Psychiatry 2003;160:1470-8.
2. Carroll J. The intergenerational transmission of family violence: the long term effects of aggressive behavior. Adv Fam Psychol 1980:2:171-81.
3. Chang JJ, Chen JJ, Brownson RC. The role of repeat victimization in adolescent delinquent behaviors and recidivism. J Adolesc Health 2003;32:272-80.
4. Drossman DA, Talley NJ, Leserman J, Olden KW, Barreiro MA. Sexual and physical abuse and gastrointestinal illness: review and recommendations. Ann Intern Med 1995;123:782-94.
5. DuRant RH, Altman D, Wolfson M, Barkin S, Kreiter S, Krowchuk D. Exposure to violence and victimization, depression, substance use, and the use of violence by young adolescents. J Pediatr 2000;137:707-13.
6. DuRant RH, Treiber F, Getts AG, McCloud K, Linder CW, Woods ER. A comparison of two violence prevention curricula for middle school adolescents. J Adolesc Health 1996;19:111-7.
8. Elliman D, Lynch MA. The physical punishment of children. Arch Dis Child 2000;83:196-8.
9. Graziano AM, Hamblen JL, Plante WA. Subabusive violence in childrearing in middle-class American families. Pediatrics 1996;98:345-8.
10. Haj-Yahia MM, Ben-Arieh A. The incidence of Arab adolescents' exposure to violence in their families of origin and its sociodemographic correlates. Child Abuse Negt 2000;24:1299-315.
11. Ibrahim B, Sallam S, El Tawila S, El Gibaly O, El Sahn F, Lee SM et al. Transitions to adulthood. In: A national survey of Egyptian adolescents. New York: The Population Council; 1999.