Subject: Social and Behavioral Sciences | Research Article | Biology | Mental Health | Medicine | Psychiatry | Adult, Depressive Disorder, Major, Female, Follow-Up Studies, Humans, Male, Middle Aged, Workload | Q | Epidemiology | R | Population Biology | Psychology | Science | Public Health
Background The association between overtime work and depression is still unclear. This study examined the association between overtime work and the onset of a major depressive episode (MDE). Methodology/Principal Findings Prospective cohort study with a baseline examina... View more
1. Mathers CD, Loncar D (2006) Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030. PLoS Med 3: e442.
2. Eaton WW, Martins SS, Nestadt G, Bienvenu OJ, Clarke D, et al. (2008) The burden of mental disorders. Epidemiol Rev 30: 1-14.
3. Adler DA, McLaughlin TJ, Rogers WH, Chang H, Lapitsky L, et al. (2006) Job performance deficits due to depression. Am J Psychiatry 163: 1569-1576.
4. Wang PS, Beck AL, Berglund P, McKenas DK, Pronk NP, et al. (2004) Effects of major depression on moment-in-time work performance. Am J Psychiatry 161: 1885-1891.
5. Demyttenaere K, Bruffaerts R, Posada-Villa J, Gasquet I, Kovess V, et al. (2004) WHO World Mental Health Survey Consortium. Prevalence, severity, and unmet need for treatment of mental disorders in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys. JAMA 291: 2581-2590.
6. van der Hulst M (2003) Long workhours and health. Scand J Work Environ Health 29: 171-188.
7. Caruso CC (2006) Possible broad impacts of long work hours. Ind Health 44: 531-536.
8. Virtanen M, Ferrie JE, Singh-Manoux A, Shipley MJ, Stansfeld SA, et al. (2011) Long working hours and symptoms of anxiety and depression: a 5-year follow-up of the Whitehall II study. Psychol Med 41: 2485-2494.
9. Suwazono Y, Okubo Y, Kobayashi E, Kido T, Nogawa K (2003) A follow-up study on the association of working conditions and lifestyles with the development of (perceived) mental symptoms in workers of a telecommunication enterprise. Occup Med (Lond) 53: 436-442.
10. Virtanen M, Singh-Manoux A, Ferrie JE, Gimeno D, Marmot MG, et al. (2009) Long working hours and cognitive function: the Whitehall II Study. Am J Epidemiol 169: 596-605.