Subject: Epidemiology | Research Article | R5-920 | Medicine (General)
<p>Abstract</p> <p>Background</p> <p>Randomised, placebo-controlled trials are needed to provide evidence demonstrating safe, effective interventions that reduce falls and fractures in the elderly. The quality of a clinical trial is dependent on successful recruitment o... View more
1. AIHW: Australia's Health 2008 - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. 2008 [http://www.aihw.gov.au/publications/ aus/ah08/ah08-c05.pdf].
2. Hill K, Schwarz J: Assessment and management of falls in older people. Internal Med J 2004, 34:557-564.
3. Lord S, Sherrington C, Menz H, Close J: Falls in Older People: Risk factors and strategies for prevention. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press; 2007.
4. Cumming R: Injury epidemiology and older people: Counting and analysing data on falls. Australasian Epidem 2000, 7:10-12.
5. Bischoff-Ferrari H, Dawson-Hughes B, Willett W, Staehelin H, Bazemore M, Zee R, Wong J: Effect of Vitamin D on Falls; A Metaanalysis. JAMA 2004, 291:1999-2006.
6. Tinetti M, Williams C: Falls, injuries due to falls, and the risk of admission to a nursing home. N Eng J Med 1997, 337:1279-84.
7. Sanders K, Seeman E, Ugoni A, Pasco J, Martin T, Skoric B, Nicholson G, Kotowicz M: Age- and gender-specific rate of fractures in Australia: a population based study. Osteoporos Int 1999, 10:240-47.
8. Tranah G, Taylor B, Lui L, Zmuda J, Cauley J, Ensrud K, Hillier T, Hochberg M, Li J, Rhees B, et al.: Genetic variation in candidate osteoporosis genes, bone mineral density and fracture risk: the study of osteoporotic fractures. Calcif Tissue Int 2008, 83:155-66.
9. Grisso J, Kelsey J, Strom B, Chiu G, Maislin G, O'Brien L, Hoffman S, Kaplan F: The Northeast hip fracture study group. Risk factors for falls as a cause of hip fracture in women. N Eng J Med 1991, 324:1326-31.