The diversity and dynamics of the microbial communities during the manufacturing of Ragusano cheese, an artisanal cheese produced in Sicily (Italy), were investigated by a combination of classical and culture-independent approaches. The latter included PCR, reverse tran... View more
1. Amann, R. I., W. Ludwig, and K. H. Schleifer. 1995. Phylogenetic identification and in situ detection of individual microbial cells without cultivation. Microbiol. Rev. 59:143-169.
2. Ampe, F., N. B. Omar, C. Moizan, C. Wacher, and J. P. Guyot. 1999. Polyphasic study of the spatial distribution of microorganisms in Mexican pozol, a fermented maize dough, demonstrates the need for cultivationindependent methods to investigate traditional fermentations. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 65:5464-5473.
3. Battistotti, B., and C. Corradini. 1993. Italian cheese, p. 221-243. In P. F. Fox (ed.), Cheese: chemistry, physics and microbiology, vol II. Chapman and Hall, London, United Kingdom.
4. Cariae, M. 1993. Ripened cheese varieties native to the Balkan countries, p. 263-279. In P. F. Fox (ed.), Cheese: chemistry, physics and microbiology, vol II. Chapman and Hall, London, United Kingdom.
5. Charteris, W. P., P. M. Kelly, L. Morelli, and J. K. Collins. 1997. Selective detection, enumeration and identification of potentially probiotic Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium species in mixed bacterial populations. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 35:1-27.
6. Cogan, T. M., M. Barbosa, E. Beuvier, B. Bianchi-Salvadori, P. S. Cocconcelli, I. Fernandes, J. Gomez, R. Gomez, G. Kalantzopoulus, A. Ledda, M. Medina, M. C. Rea, and E. Rodriguez. 1997. Characterization of the lactic bacteria in artisanal dairy products J. Dairy Res. 64:409-421.
7. Collins, M. D., U. Rodrigues, C. Ash, M. Aguirre, J. A. E. Farrow, A. Matinez-Murcia, B. A. Phillips, A. M. Williams, and S. Wallbanks. 1991. Phylogenetic analysis of the genus Lactobacillus and related lactic acid bacteria as determined by reverse transcriptase sequencing of 16S rRNA. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 77:5-12.
8. Coppola, S., G. Blaiotta, D. Ercolini, and G. Moschetti. 2001. Molecular evaluation of microbial diversity in different types of Mozzarella cheese. J. Appl. Microbiol. 90:414-420.
9. Corroler, D., I. Mangin, N. Desmasures, and M. Gueguen. 1998. An ecological study of lactococci isolated from raw milk in the Camembert cheese Registered Designation of Origin area. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 64:4729- 4735.
10. Felske, A., A. D. L. Akkermans, and W. M. de Vos. 1998. Quantification of 16S rRNAs in complex bacterial communities by multiple competitive reverse transcription-PCR in temperature gradient gel electrophoresis fingerprints. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 64:4581-4587.