Grid-connected wind turbines are fluctuating power sources that may produce flicker during continuous operation. This paper presents a simulation model of a MW-level variable speed wind turbine with a full-scale back-to-back power converter and permanent magnet synchron... View more
1. Rossetto, L.; Tenti, P.; Zuccato, A. Electromagnetic compatibility issues in industrial equipment. IEEE Ind. Appl. Mag. 1999, 5, 34-46.
2. Chinchilla, M.; Arnaltes, S.; Burgos, J.C. Control of permanent-magnet generators applied to variable-speed wind-energy systems connected to the grid. IEEE Trans. Energy Convers. 2006, 21, 130-135.
3. Larsson, A. Flicker emission of wind turbines during continuous operation. IEEE Trans. Energy Convers. 2002, 17, 114-118.
4. Sharma, H.; Islam, S.; Pryor, T.; Nayar, C.V. Power quality issues in a wind turbine driven induction generator and diesel hybrid autonomous grid. J. Elect. Electron. Eng. 2001, 21, 19-25.
5. Papadopoulos, M.P.; Papathanassiou, S.A.; Tentzerakis, S.T.; Boulaxis, N.G. Investigation of the Flicker Emission by Grid Connected Wind Turbines. In Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Harmonics Quality of Power, Athens, Greece, 14-18 October 1998; pp. 1152-1157.
6. Hu, W.; Chen, Z.; Wang, Y.; Wang, Z. Flicker Study on Variable Speed Wind Turbines with Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator. In Proceedings of 13th Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (EPE-PEMC), Poznan, Poland, 1-3 September 2008; pp. 2325-2330.
7. Sun, T.; Chen, Z.; Blaabjerg, F. Flicker study on variable speed wind turbines with doubly fed induction generators. IEEE Trans. Energy Convers. 2005, 20, 896-905.
8. Hill, J.E. A practical example of the use of distribution static compensator (D-STATCOM) to reduce voltage fluctuation. In Proceedings of the IEE Colloquium on Power Electronics for Renewable Energy, London, UK, 16 June 1997; pp. 711-715.
9. Mohod, S.W.; Aware, M.V. A STATCOM-control scheme for grid connected wind energy system for power quality improvement. IEEE Syst. J. 2010, 4, 346-352.
10. Kasem, A.H.; El-Saadany, E.F.; El-Tamaly, H.H.; Wahab, M.A.A. Power ramp rate control and flicker mitigation for directly grid connected wind turbines. IET Renew. Power Gener. 2010, 4, 261-271.