<p>Abstract</p> <p>Background</p> <p>Excessive accumulation of body fat, in particular in the visceral fat depot, is a major risk factor to develop a variety of diseases such as type 2 diabetes. The mechanisms underlying the increased risk of obese individuals to develo... View more
1. Hajer GR, van Haeften TW, Visseren FL: Adipose tissue dysfunction in obesity, diabetes, and vascular diseases. Eur Heart J 2008, 29:2959-2971.
2. Nijhuis J, Rensen SS, Slaats Y, van Dielen FM, Buurman WA, Greve JW: Neutrophil activation in morbid obesity, chronic activation of acute inflammation. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2009, 17:2014-2018.
3. Tam CS, Clement K, Baur LA, Tordjman J: Obesity and low-grade inflammation: a paediatric perspective. Obes Rev 2010, 11:118-126.
4. Hotamisligil GS, Shargill NS, Spiegelman BM: Adipose expression of tumor necrosis factor-alpha: direct role in obesity-linked insulin resistance. Science 1993, 259:87-91.
5. Curat CA, Miranville A, Sengenes C, Diehl M, Tonus C, Busse R, Bouloumie A: From blood monocytes to adipose tissue-resident macrophages: induction of diapedesis by human mature adipocytes. Diabetes 2004, 53:1285-1292.
6. Harman-Boehm I, Bluher M, Redel H, Sion-Vardy N, Ovadia S, Avinoach E, Shai I, Kloting N, Stumvoll M, Bashan N, Rudich A: Macrophage infiltration into omental versus subcutaneous fat across different populations: effect of regional adiposity and the comorbidities of obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007, 92:2240-2247.
7. Weisberg SP, McCann D, Desai M, Rosenbaum M, Leibel RL, Ferrante AW Jr: Obesity is associated with macrophage accumulation in adipose tissue. J Clin Invest 2003, 112:1796-1808.
8. Xu H, Barnes GT, Yang Q, Tan G, Yang D, Chou CJ, Sole J, Nichols A, Ross JS, Tartaglia LA, Chen H: Chronic inflammation in fat plays a crucial role in the development of obesity-related insulin resistance. J Clin Invest 2003, 112:1821-1830.
9. Bluher M: The distinction of metabolically 'healthy' from 'unhealthy' obese individuals. Curr Opin Lipidol 2010, 21:38-43.
10. Despres JP, Allard C, Tremblay A, Talbot J, Bouchard C: Evidence for a regional component of body fatness in the association with serum lipids in men and women. Metabolism 1985, 34:967-973.