We recently demonstrated original anti-tumor effects of zoledronic acid (Zol) on osteosarcoma cell lines independently of their p53 and Rb status. The present study investigated the potential Zol-resistance acquired by osteosarcoma cells after prolonged treatment. After... View more
Link MP, Goorin AM, Horowitz M, Meyer WH, Belasco J, Baker A, Ayala A, Shuster J. Adjuvant chemotherapy of high-grade osteosarcoma of the extremity. Updated results of the Multi-Institutional Osteosarcoma Study. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1991: 8-14.
Rosen G, Murphy ML, Huvos AG, Gutierrez M, Marcove RC. Chemotherapy, en bloc resection, and prosthetic bone replacement in the treatment of osteogenic sarcoma. Cancer. 1976; 37: 1-11.
Provisor AJ, Ettinger LJ, Nachman JB, Krailo MD, Makley JT,Yunis EJ, Huvos AG, Betcher DL, Baum ES, Kisker CT, Miser JS. Treatment of nonmetastatic osteosarcoma of the extremity with preoperative and postoperative chemotherapy: a report from the Children's Cancer Group. J Clin Oncol. 1997; 15: 76-84.
Bisphosphonates: new therapeutic agents for the treatment of bone tumors. Trends Mol Med. 2004; 10: 337-43.
Rogers MJ, Gordon S, Benford HL, Coxon FP, Luckman SP, Monkkonen J, Frith JC. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of action of bisphosphonates. and soft-tissue tumours induced in rats with radioacCancer. 2000; 88: 2961-78. tive cerium chloride. Int J Cancer. 1977; 20: 112-9.
6. Rogers MJ. New insights into the molecular mecha- 19. Evdokiou A, Labrinidis A, Bouralexis S, Hay S, nisms of action of bisphosphonates. Curr Pharm Findlay DM. Induction of cell death of human Des. 2003; 9: 2643-58. osteogenic sarcoma cells by zoledronic acid resem7. Russell RG. Bisphosphonates: mode of action and bles anoikis. Bone. 2003; 33: 216-28. pharmacology. Pediatrics. 2007; 119: S150-62. 20. Biedler JL, Riehm H. Cellular resistance to actino8. Coxon FP, Helfrich MH, Van't Hof R, Sebti S, mycin D in Chinese hamster cells in vitro: crossRalston SH, Hamilton A, Rogers MJ. Protein ger- resistance, radioautographic, and cytogenetic studanylgeranylation is required for osteoclast formation, ies. Cancer Res. 1970; 30: 1174-84. function, and survival: inhibition by bisphosphonates 21. Gottesman MM, Pastan I. Biochemistry of multidrug and GGTI-298. J Bone Miner Res. 2000; 15: resistance mediated by the multidrug transporter. 1467-76. Annu Rev Biochem. 1993; 62: 385-427.
9. Mackie PS, Fisher JL, Zhou H, Choong PF. 22. Tsuruo T, Iida H, Tsukagoshi S, Sakurai Y. Bisphosphonates regulate cell growth and gene Overcoming of vincristine resistance in P388 expression in the UMR 106-01 clonal rat osteosarco- leukemia in vivo and in vitro through enhanced cytoma cell line. Br J Cancer. 2001; 84: 951-8. toxicity of vincristine and vinblastine by verapamil.
10. Sonnemann J, Eckervogt V, Truckenbrod B, Boos Cancer Res. 1981; 41: 1967-72. J, Winkelmann Wvan Valen F. The bisphosphonate 23. Gibbs JB, Oliff A. The potential of farnesyltranspamidronate is a potent inhibitor of human osteosar- ferase inhibitors as cancer chemotherapeutics. Annu coma cell growth in vitro. Anticancer Drugs. 2001; 12: Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 1997; 37: 143-66. 459-65. 24. Suri S, Monkkonen J, Taskinen M, Pesonen J, 11. Heymann D, Ory B, Blanchard F, Heymann MF, Blank MA, Phipps RJ, Rogers MJ. Nitrogen-conCoipeau P, Charrier C, Couillaud S, Thiery JP, taining bisphosphonates induce apoptosis of Caco-2 Gouin F, Redini F. Enhanced tumor regression and cells in vitro by inhibiting the mevalonate pathway: a tissue repair when zoledronic acid is combined with model of bisphosphonate-induced gastrointestinal ifosfamide in rat osteosarcoma. Bone. 2005; 37: toxicity. Bone. 2001; 29: 336-43. 74-86. 25. Reszka AA, Halasy-Nagy J, Rodan GA. Nitrogen-bis12. Ory B, Heymann MF, Kamijo A, Gouin F, Heymann phosphonates block retinoblastoma phosphorylation D, Redini F. Zoledronic acid suppresses lung metas- and cell growth by inhibiting the cholesterol biosynthettases and prolongs overall survival of osteosarcoma- ic pathway in a keratinocyte model for esophageal irribearing mice. Cancer. 2005; 104: 2522-9. tation. Mol Pharmacol. 2001; 59: 193-202.
31. Salomo M, Jurlander J, Nielsen LB, Gimsing P. osteosarcoma: reciprocal relationship with INK4A How myeloma cells escape bisphosphonate-mediat- gene alterations and mapping of 12q13 amplicons. ed killing: development of specific resistance with Int J Cancer. 1999; 80: 199-204. preserved sensitivity to conventional chemothera- 43. Grem JL, King SA, Wittes RE, Leyland-Jones B. peutics. Br J Haematol. 2003; 122: 202-10. The role of methotrexate in osteosarcoma. J Natl 32. Ifergan I, Meller I, Issakov J, Assaraf YG. Reduced Cancer Inst. 1988; 80: 626-55. folate carrier protein expression in osteosarcoma: 44. Siddik ZH. Cisplatin: mode of cytotoxic action and implications for the prediction of tumor chemosensi- molecular basis of resistance. Oncogene. 2003; 22: tivity. Cancer. 2003; 98: 1958-66. 7265-79.
39. Sandberg AA, Bridge JA. Updates on the cytoge- 48. Lourda M, Trougakos IP, Gonos ES. Development netics and molecular genetics of bone and soft tissue of resistance to chemotherapeutic drugs in human tumors: osteosarcoma and related tumors. Cancer osteosarcoma cell lines largely depends on up-reguGenet Cytogenet. 2003; 145: 1-30. lation of Clusterin/Apolipoprotein J. Int J Cancer.