mesheuropmc: genetic structures | endocrine system diseases | eye diseases
Tushar M Ranchod, Stuart L FineScheie Eye Institute, Department, of Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USAAbstract: Diabetic macular edema (DME) is a leading cause of vision loss in older Americans. Thermal laser treatment remains the mainstay ... View more
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Fact Sheet: General information and national estimates on diabetes in the United States, 2005. Atlanta, GA: Center for Disease Control, 2005.
2. Eppens MC, Craig ME, Cusumano J, et al. Prevalence of diabetes complications in adolescents with type 2 compared with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2006;29:1300-1306.
3. Photocoagulation for diabetic macular edema. Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study report number 1. Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study research group. Arch Ophthalmol. 1985;103:1796-1806.
4. Liazos E, Broadbent DM, Beare N, Kumar N. Spontaneous resolution of diabetic macular oedema after discontinuation of thiazolidenediones. Diabet Med. 2008;25:860-862.
5. Moss SE, Klein R, Klein BE. The 14-year incidence of visual loss in a diabetic population. Ophthalmology. 1998;105:998-1003.
6. Bandello F, Lanzetta P, Menchini U. When and how to do a grid laser for diabetic macular edema. Doc Ophthalmol. 1999;97:415-419.
7. Adamis AP, Miller JW, Bernal MT, et al. Increased vascular endothelial growth factor levels in the vitreous of eyes with proliferative diabetic retinopathy. Am J Ophthalmol. 1994;118:445-450.
8. Brooks HL Jr, Caballero S Jr, Newell CK, et al. Vitreous levels of vascular endothelial growth factor and stromal-derived factor 1 in patients with diabetic retinopathy and cystoid macular edema before and after intraocular injection of triamcinolone. Arch Ophthalmol. 2004;122:1801-1807.
9. Lam DS, Chan CK, Mohamed S, et al. Intravitreal triamcinolone plus sequential grid laser versus triamcinolone or laser alone for treating diabetic macular edema: six-month outcomes. Ophthalmology. 2007;114:2162-2167.
10. Cellini M, Pazzaglia A, Zamparini E, Leonetti P, Campos EC. Intravitreal vs subtenon triamcinolone acetonide for the treatment of diabetic cystoid macular edema. BMC Ophthalmol. 2008;8:5.