Leptospirosis can activate inflammatory responses through Toll-like receptors (TLRs) and may cause renal tubulointerstitial fibrosis characterized by the accumulation of extracellular matrix (ECM). We have previously demonstrated that Leptospira santorosai serovar Sherm... View more
1. Akira, S., K. Takeda, and T. Kaisho. 2001. Toll-like receptors: critical proteins linking innate and acquired immunity. Nat. Immunol. 2:675-680.
2. Atasoyu, E. M., V. Turhan, S. Unver, T. R. Evrenkaya, and S. Yildirim. 2005. A case of leptospirosis presenting with end-stage renal failure. Nephrol. Dial. Transplant. 20:2290-2292.
3. Chen, A., and S. Zheng. 2008. Curcumin inhibits connective tissue growth factor gene expression in activated hepatic stellate cells in vitro by blocking NF- B and ERK signaling. Br. J. Pharmacol. 153:557-567.
4. Covic, A., D. J. Goldsmith, P. Gusbeth-Tatomir, A. Seica, and M. Covic. 2003. A retrospective 5-year study in Moldova of acute renal failure due to leptospirosis: 58 cases and a review of the literature. Nephrol. Dial Transplant. 18:1128-1134.
5. Cullen, P. A., et al. 2005. Surfaceome of Leptospira spp. Infect. Immun. 73:4853-4863.
6. Elsharkawy, A. M., and D. A. Mann. 2007. Nuclear factor- B and the hepatic inflammation-fibrosis-cancer axis. Hepatology 46:590-597.
7. Farr, R. W. 1995. Leptospirosis. Clin. Infect. Dis. 21:1-8.
8. Gasse, P., et al. 2007. IL-1R1/MyD88 signaling and the inflammasome are essential in pulmonary inflammation and fibrosis in mice. J. Clin. Invest. 117:3786-3799.
9. Ha, T., et al. 2006. Blockade of MyD88 attenuates cardiac hypertrophy and decreases cardiac myocyte apoptosis in pressure overload-induced cardiac hypertrophy in vivo. Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 290:H985-H994.
10. Haake, D. A., and J. Matsunaga. 2002. Characterization of the leptospiral outer membrane and description of three novel leptospiral membrane proteins. Infect. Immun. 70:4936-4945.