Subject: Cnidaria | Biotechnology | Research Article | Genetics | Mitochondrial DNA | Linear mitochondrial genome | NUMT
Background In contrast to most animal genomes, mitochondrial genomes in species belonging to the phylum Cnidaria show distinct variations in genome structure, including the mtDNA structure (linear or circular) and the presence or absence of introns in protein-coding gen... View more
1. Lopez JV, Yuhki N, Masuda R, Modi W, O'Brien SJ: Numt, a recent transfer and tandem amplification of mitochondrial DNA to the nuclear genome of the domestic cat. J Mol Evol 1994, 39:174-190.
2. du Buy HG, Riley FL: Hybridization between the nuclear and kinetoplast DNA's of Leishmania enriettii and between nuclear and mitochondrial DNA's of mouse liver. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1967, 57:790-797.
4. Richly E, Leister D: NUMTs in sequenced eukaryotic genomes. Mol Biol Evol 2004, 21:1081-1084.
5. Hazkani-Covo E, Zeller RM, Martin W: Molecular poltergeists: mitochondrial DNA copies (numts) in sequenced nuclear genomes. PLoS Genet 2010, 6:e1000834.
6. Pamilo P, Viljakainen L, Vihavainen A: Exceptionally high density of NUMTs in the honeybee genome. Mol Biol Evol 2007, 24:1340-1346.
7. Woischnik M, Moraes CT: Pattern of organization of human mitochondrial pseudogenes in the nuclear genome. Genome Res 2002, 12:885-893.
8. Hazkani-Covo E, Sorek R, Graur D: Evolutionary dynamics of large numts in the human genome: rarity of independent insertions and abundance of post-insertion duplications. J Mol Evol 2003, 56:169-174.
9. Behura SK: Analysis of nuclear copies of mitochondrial sequences in honeybee (Apis mellifera) genome. Mol Biol Evol 2007, 24:1492-1505.
10. Triant DA, DeWoody JA: Extensive mitochondrial DNA transfer in a rapidly evolving rodent has been mediated by independent insertion events and by duplications. Gene 2007, 401:61-70.