Subject: emergy analysis | Building construction | environmental building design | Renewable Substitutability Index (RSI) | TH1-9745 | Renewable Emergy Balance
In order to achieve a material and energy balance in buildings that is sustainable in the long run, there is an urgent need to assess the renewable and non-renewable resources used in the manufacturing process and to progressively replace non-renewable resources with re... View more
1. Guinee, J.B.; Heijungs, R.; Udo de Haes, H.A.; Huppes, G. Quantitative life cycle assessment of products: 2. Classification, valuation and improvement analysis. J. Clean. Prod. 1993, 1, 81-91.
2. Madu, C.N. Handbook of Environmentally Conscious Manufacturing; Kluwer Academic Publishers: Boston, MA, USA, 2001.
3. Zabalza Bribián, I.; Aranda Usón, A.; Scarpellini, S. Life cycle assessment in buildings: State-of-the-art and simplified LCA methodology as a complement for building certification. Build. Environ. 2009, 44, 2510-2520.
4. Sartori, I.; Hestes, A.G. Energy use in the life cycle of conventional and low-energy buildings: A review article. Energy Build. 2007, 39, 249-257.
5. Ramesh, T.; Prakash, R.; Shukla, K.K. Life cycle energy analysis of buildings: An overview. Energy Build. 2010, 42, 1592-1600.
6. Asdrubali, F.; Baldassarri, C.; Fthenakis, V. Life cycle analysis in the construction sector: Guiding the optimization of conventional Italian buildings. Energy Build. 2013, 64, 73-89.
7. Zhang, Y.; Singh, S.; Bakshi, B.R. Accounting for ecosystem services in life cycle assessment, part I: A critical review. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2010, 7, 2232-2242.
8. Hau, J.L. Toward Environmentally Conscious Process Systems Engineering via Joint Thermodynamic Accounting of Industrial and Ecological Systems. Ph.D. Thesis, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA, May 2005.
9. Odum, H.T. Environmental Accounting: Emergy and Environmental Decision Making; Wiley: New York, NY, USA, 1996.
10. Brown, M.T.; Williams, S.B.; Tilley, D.R.; Ulgiati, S. Emergy Synthesis: Theory and Applications of the Emergy Methodology. In Proceedings of the First Biennial Emergy Analysis Research Conference, Gainesville, FL, USA, 2-4 September, 1999.