Once you have generated a 3D model of a protein,\ud how do you know whether it bears any resemblance\ud to the actual structure? To determine the usefulness\ud of 3D models of proteins, they must be assessed in\ud terms of their quality by methods that predict their\ud ... View more
1. Altschul,S.F., Gish,W., Miller,W., Myers,E.W. and Lipman,D.J. (1990) Basic local alignment search tool. J. Mol. Biol., 215, 403-410.
2. Hooft,R.W., Vriend,G., Sander,C. and Abola,E.E. (1996) Errors in protein structures. Nature, 381, 272.
3. Laskowski,R.A., Rullmannn,J.A., MacArthur,M.W., Kaptein,R. and Thornton,J.M. (1996) AQUA and PROCHECK-NMR: programs for checking the quality of protein structures solved by NMR. J. Biomol. NMR, 8, 477-486.
4. Lovell,S.C., Davis,I.W., Arendall,W.B. III, de Bakker,P.I., Word,J.M., Prisant,M.G., Richardson,J.S. and Richardson,D.C. (2003) Structure validation by Calpha geometry: phi, psi and Cbeta deviation. Proteins, 50, 437-450.
5. Sippl,M.J. (1993) Recognition of errors in three-dimensional structures of proteins. Proteins, 17, 355-362.
6. Zhou,H. and Zhou,Y. (2002) Distance-scaled, finite ideal-gas reference state improves structure-derived potentials of mean force for structure selection and stability prediction. Protein Sci., 11, 2714-2726.
7. Eisenberg,D., Luthy,R. and Bowie,J.U. (1997) VERIFY3D: assessment of protein models with three-dimensional profiles. Methods Enzymol., 277, 396-404.
8. Wallner,B. and Elofsson,A. (2003) Can correct protein models be identified? Protein Sci., 12, 1073-1086.
9. Benkert,P., Tosatto,S.C. and Schomburg,D. (2008) QMEAN: a comprehensive scoring function for model quality assessment. Proteins, 71, 261-277.
10. McGuffin,L.J. (2007) Benchmarking consensus model quality assessment for protein fold recognition. BMC Bioinformatics, 8, 345.